• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Camshaft indexing

Come on, guys..... someone has to know how to do this....
No answer?

I've gotten as far as the FSM tells me: align the hole in the shutter; but then it says to use the scanner and that´s where I had to stop.

I have a 88 XJ but let me speculate. I believe your camshaft sensor slides into the hole used for the distributor on my 88 XJ. I watched the dealer mechanic pull out my distributor and reinstall a new one. He did visually index the shaft so the new shaft was oriented the same way.

With your sensor I speculate you don't have the ability to do a visual alignment like you can with a distributor. That is why they may ask for the scan tool to align. IF the sensor just sits on top of a "bottom half" of a distributor then you may be able to rotate the sensor until it goes on the shaft.

They may have some "magic" they do with the scan tool to calibrate the new sensor. I would not think so since the auto industry has gone to self caibrating systems. The Throttle position sensor is no longer calibarted but in the late 80s they were on most brands.

I wish I knew what the sensor looked like but rockauto does not have a picture. You could always go in to a dealership and just ask the parts guys what they do, this is easier if you purchased the new sensor from them. Also you could try to start the engine, the worst thing that will happen will be the engine not running.

OK. You can see the manual at http://www.estared.com/jeep/Cam_Indexing.pdf
I got as far as item 10 in page 8D-17, but my scanner and my PCM don't get along too well. It's probably because my XJ is Venezuelan-assembled and Chrysler-secured. Otherwise, the PCM is shot.
After item 9, I advanced the sensor as far as I could without having the engine stall or not start. About 10* (20* at the crank). I'm changing O2 sensor 1/1 tomorrow because it reads too high a voltage and then expect the XJ to run well if the cam timing reads OK at the PCM
By the way, the XJ works (limps) even when the cam sensor is 180* off!!!

Back