• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Changing to higher output factory alt.

red91

NAXJA Forum User
I am currently running a 90 amp alt, but can get a 136 amp that jeep offered factory in other jeep related products.

If I increase the amprage 50% over what I have, and do the battery cable upgrades, would this provide a significant upgrade, or am I constricted by the vehicles capacity to work with the change?

Yes, that will be a significant change, IF you have ALOT of lights/winch/HUGE stereo/etc.

If you're alternator is the NipponDenso type and not the older ACDeclo type, you can upgrade to the 136A unit that came in some Jeeps, even more common in Dodge trucks and vans (full-size).

I did the swap, going from 70A to 136A, and only cost me $45 at the salvage yard. Super easy install. Check out POR for the alternator part number and what vehicle's it was available in, do a search on their forum.

Bounty Hunter said:
If you're alternator is the NipponDenso type and not the older ACDeclo type, you can upgrade to the 136A unit that came in some Jeeps, even more common in Dodge trucks and vans (full-size).

I did the swap, going from 70A to 136A, and only cost me $45 at the salvage yard. Super easy install. Check out POR for the alternator part number and what vehicle's it was available in, do a search on their forum.

BUT...how did you like it?

Back