• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MJ seating options

JnJ

NAXJA Forum User
Well the bench seat in our MJ is worn out. So a couple questions; 1) Did the MJ have a bucket seat option? 2) Will Cherokee buckets bolt right in? 3) (to qualify for mod tech forum) are there any "easy" bolt in options from other donor vehicles?

LOL....No cherokee seats wont bolt rignt in...the MJ has a wider trans tunnel.....so the perch has a short leg on the inside.....and yes I just sold a set of MJ perches....and have a second set that mastercraft seats are going on.....I thnk I can still pick up a set # my local salvage yard for around 60.00

Yes, some MJs came with bucket seats. No, XJ buckets will not bolt right in.

Configuration of the floor pan is different from the XJ floor pan, so the seat pedestals are different. However, I've compared an MJ bench seat with a pair of genuine MJ buckets I snagged at a u-pull junk yard, and it appears the pedestals are identical. I believe, and will soon be confirming, that you can drill out the rivets and bolt the XJ buckets onto the MJ pedestals.

Someone not too long ago posted or said something about having to grind off some spot welds in addition to the rivets to get the XJ buckets off the XJ pedestals. I haven't confirmed that as yet.

I know it can be done because one of the customers at my dealership had one of the techs do it for him. Unfortunately, byt the time I asked him what he had to do, he had forgotten.

I know for a fact that the buckets will bolt in to were the bench was. I did it with '87 bucket to an '89 bench. MJ of course.

car-part.com You might even find some in your color. :)
Jeep on!
--Pete

Back