• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

replacing a 207 with a 231?

1986xj

NAXJA Forum User
Other than making sure the input spline count matches what else is involved in swapping in a 231 in place of a 207? Will the 207 shifter linkage work or will mods be needed to it?
From what I read if the 207 chain is sloppy on the rig I just bought then I might as well get a 231, rebuild it and do a tailshaft conversion on it and swap it in.
Any thoughts on the 207? Wood's makes a TSC kit for it as well? http://www.4xshaft.com/conversions.html
Or is it as worthless as the magazines have made it out to be? (Over 200k on the one in it now and it still works OK I'm told)
Thanks,
Mike B.

207 to 231.......

Well I have a 84 with the 207 and she has at least 140K on it. (That is what is on the od!) I'm lifted and running 31's with the 4 popper. She works for me! I am hard on her at times though. The only problem I had was the front ball and cup DS. When I put my lift on it split the cup and sprayed the grease all under the xj. But for DD and occasional trailridding I think the 207 is fine. Your weak link is the front and rear axles. And those can live with 33's! Which is what I'm shooting for next. That and a new 4 popper that is FI! As for swaping in a 231. Why bother till you have to? I have one in my shop for rebuilding now but will not do it till the 207 is toast! All I have seen points to a birect bolt in! Everything on the two cases looks the same. Just make sure you get the right input count. Which should be 21 splines!

That's what I was waiting to hear, I guess the guys who bash the 207 are running 33"+ tires and using them hard. For now this is going to be my baby hauling / errand running rig. And I seriously doubt I will ever go higher than 4" lift or bigger than 31's on this particular rig since generally the whole drivetrain is kind of light duty and would require major help to go past that.
Thanks,
Mike B.

....and if you wanna get rid of the CV joint on the front driveshaft let me know. I've got the correct output yoke to convert it to a regular double-cardon type driveshaft. All you'll need to get then is a front driveshaft from a 4 popper XJ to bolt it all in. That will take care of the weakest point of that case.

A word of caution on liftint the non 4.0 xj's. The springs are rated for the 4.0 and my 4.5" lift gave me 5.5" in the front! That is a procomp coil and daystar spacer! So a 3" lift spring on a non 4.0 by my calculations will give 4" of lift!

Now - lift kit heights

That ought to be enough to clear 31's or 32's nicely then shouldn't it?
Mike B.

Ghost said:
A word of caution on liftint the non 4.0 xj's. The springs are rated for the 4.0 and my 4.5" lift gave me 5.5" in the front! That is a procomp coil and daystar spacer! So a 3" lift spring on a non 4.0 by my calculations will give 4" of lift!

Well I just ordered some 33x12.50's Monday. I have lots of room around my 31's!

Back