• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bumper question for you guys...

a_hiatt

NAXJA Forum User
i need to know what a stock 99 bumper looks like w/o the end caps and how it mounts. i think im getting a winch and i dont want to/cant afford a winch bumper, so im thinking i could weld something to be strong enough for the winch instead of the stock one and keep the end caps(with a little work)

being unibody you'll need to strengthen the ends of the "frame" where the bumper mounts on. check the archives for information/discussion on a behind the bumper mount winch. Ramsey used to produce one, but no more.

The winch needs to go in a 'tray' this tray goes down alonside the frame rails the same as the factory tow hook brackets so that when you pull with it the load is spread down the frame rails. The way the XJ is setup about the only thing the bumper mounts are good for is to hold the bumper on and kind of keep it in place incase you hit anything :D As far as being able to withstand being pulled, no way. One alternative is to get a front hitch, either one that mounts under the bumper or get a bumper with a 2" receiver built in then get a detachable winch tray that goes into the receiver. As far as a reasonable priced winch bumper ridigco makes a pretty darn nice looking one though the shipping from Utah, in my case to Penna is gonna hurt :D
In all seriousness the only thing the stock front and rear bumper mount points are good for is basically holding the bumper on so it will crunch nicely on impact.
I just put a Tomken rear on and am happy with it., their front one is pretty much the same, a big slab of steel that has the correct bend to fit the nose but thats about all I can say about them, anbody hits one it's going to ruin their day.

Back