• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fluids

slikinchiken

NAXJA Forum User
i have an 88 cherokee pioneer 4.0 automatic....4wd....just curious as to which trans. fluid and what fluids to use in the x-case and front and rear axles. any info will be appreciated. thanks.

brian

slikinchiken said:
i have an 88 cherokee pioneer 4.0 automatic....4wd....just curious as to which trans. fluid and what fluids to use in the x-case and front and rear axles. any info will be appreciated. thanks.

brian
I'm pretty sure I've seen this question here within the last two weeks so you might want to scroll through or search for more responses/ideas, but to get you started:
aw4: use whatever your manual specifies and whatever you do do not use synthetic
tcase: which one you got? I use Mobil 1 in my np231
Axles: if you got limited slip in the rear use 75-90 with the additive from the dealer. If you two use 75-140 or 85 140 synthethic or synthethic blend in the rear. For the front you can use any plain 75-90.

in my factory service manual, it suggests dexron-II ATF for the tranny and t-case. but, it says different amounts for different models (model 207...4.5 pts, model 208...6.0 pts, model 228...7.0 pts, and model 229...6.0 pts.) does anyone know what this is or how i can tell which is mine...also i cant find anything about the axles, i don't know which ones i have....thanks again

i just looked at it, the cover to the axle is round with no flat spots around the edge...but how do i know about the limited slip or what have you...and i am assuming my front is a dana 30....so i am sti unsure as to which fluids....sorry, i know it was said above but i want to make certain as to which one i use for sure....thanks to you guys.

The t-case should have a tag bolted/riveted to the back on the flat surface directly opposite the front driveshaft output. It will tell you for sure what t-case you have.

Unless you had a prior owner go nuts modifying it, your front axle is a D30. You rear as already pointed out should be a D35 or less likely a D44. Pics of both are on http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/gear1.html#axle

Edited to add:
There are two plugs on the rear of the t-case. The upper one is fill, and lower is drain. remove the fill plug first to make sure it will come off. Drain, and refill to the bottom edge of the upper hole.

ok, so the dexron II ATF is ok for the t-case?? and which oil for my axles? 75-90 with the additive from the dealer. 75-140 or 85 140 synthethic or synthethic blend.....do i use the same oil for front and rear?? and i am assuming it is grade 5 gear oil??? also, on my axles, is there a drain plug or do i have to remove the bottom bolts on the cover?? if so do i need to replace a gasket or anything or is it even safe to take the cover all the way off??? i apologize for all the questions, i have never done this before and i want to do it right the first time. thank you all who have posted already and anyone else who may post after this, thanks!

brian

slikinchiken said:
and which oil for my axles? 75-90 with the additive from the dealer. 75-140 or 85 140 synthethic or synthethic blend.....do i use the same oil for front and rear?? and i am assuming it is grade 5 gear oil??? also, on my axles, is there a drain plug or do i have to remove the bottom bolts on the cover?? if so do i need to replace a gasket or anything or is it even safe to take the cover all the way off???
If you tow use 75 140 or 85 140 synthetic or synthetic blend in the rear. If you do not tow with it use 75 90 plain.
Front use 75-90 plain. You can use synth if you want but it's moer expnesive.

To drain the axles you have to pop the cover off and use the red gasket maker for high temps to lay a new bead on teh cover before putting it on.

Additive for the rear is required if you got limited slip in the rear (search for test procedures).

Back