• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

So, I went to the Cliffs on Sat.

PhunkXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I rode shotty with Rory in the TJ, I won't be taking my junk there any time soon. Maybe in a couple years, when the trails are cut better, it's too tight.

Our group consisted of 4 built TJ's, 2 of them were built very well. And, a crappy old CJ with a big block, as soon as the guy asked us if he could join our group, I KNEW he was gonna be the guy breaking down and needing a tug most of the day. I was right!!! :D His bald all-terrains were fierce. :rolleyes: He overheated as we were making our way off the trail at 5, so we left him there and the crew at the park took care of rest.

The best thing about the place was that it was a nice short trip, it took us about an hour. We went to the JC Whitney outlet beforehand, so we didn't get to the park until 12:30.

It was muddy and nasty, everyone was stuck, everyone needed to be winched. I didn't see many rocks, just lots of mud, everywhere, and I HATE mud. It hasn't even rained that much lately. I can't even image the place after a few days of rain.

It was so slick, you couldn't get up a hill without a strap or winch, and going down some hills... forget it, just hope you can control your junk and the slide enough to avoid bouncing off a tree.

The trails were tight, I'm not afraid of body damage, you guys have seen my XJ, but I will avoid it as much as I can. There was no avoiding damage to get through these trails for an XJ, at the very least, severe pin stripes.
I have scratches on my arm from the stupid branches flying in the TJ.

We were there for 4 hours and probably spent 3 hours getting un-stuck, I don't even have pics of anything, it was so boring. I even napped in the Jeep for 20 minutes while they winched eveyone up a hill.

Overall... I'd go back... in YOUR Jeep, not mine. :D

Glad to see it hasn't changed much since May, when I was there. It took us 8 hours to 3/4 of a mile and back.

Cliffs is a ATV park. Jeeps will find it tight and slow. I went there with the quad and had a blast, it was fun with the Jeep also, but more fun on the quad.

Rev

Thanks for the heads up, Phunk... now I'm seriously considering skipping that part of the Land of Lincoln event in a few weeks. I do not want to add any body damage to the one pretty Jeep in my collection, and I hate mud too.

my brother in law and his buddies go there often, they say pretty much the same stuff. They said there are some pretty nasty revines that will tear your junk up if you aren't careful. I guess they were having working parties to try and make the trails better, but I don't know if that is still happening. there website says they are working on a rock climb????

What trails did you end up on Paula? The black trails are pretty nasty and will tear up a rig pretty easily. Just remember- you got there at 12:30- would you go by a review of the Badlands from someone who only spent 3 1/2 hours there?

I have led members of LOST (The Liberty club) out there on days when it was raining without any problem, the key is to not get in over your head.
IM000738.jpg

IM000737.jpg

(If posting pictures of a KJ doesn't get me banned here, nothing will.) :shhh:

The black trails require winches, lockers f&r, and at least 33" tires in a brand made by Interco, preferably Boggers. I usually take my windshield off for most of the Black trails, except for #10 the GLJT trail, that's pretty wide open 'till you hit the tight ravine at the top.

I will be leading a milder group ou the for the ILL event, and will be prerunnung on Friday. Don't sign up for the hardcore run unless you are expecting body damage You may not get any, but that's not a sure bet.

Last edited:
Beezil said:
wheelin so badass you havta remove your windshield, and all you have are pics of libbies in a silly puddle????

I declare a thumb war.

Well, we'd take XJ's through the puddle, but they don't want to come out because of body damage.

Come on out, Beez. We can have the thumb war at the park, and we can have a BBQ.

I'm not sure about the windshield- did you cut that off, too? (I'm not sure what parts you have left)

Send me a PM, bro.

Back