• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My new 92 XJ....

muddy92xj

NAXJA Forum User
Hi everyone,

My name is mike. I just got a 92 at a auction for 1200. I wanted one for a while. ANyway, other then changing the fluids and a good tuneup. What else should i do to it? This is my first jeep like this. Its going to be a DD and the weekend offroad toy. Has a 4.0 and its a auto. 86k on it. I jumped for it. I over paid didn't I? Oh well

Thanks for the help.

mike

Hope you enjoy your new toy! I think you got all the maintance handled .I really dont think you over paid I just bought another 94xj for my collection and paid 2500 for it with 140k on it.Have fun!

Make sure you get all the fluids, not just an oil change. Axles, tranny, t-case, I'd recommend new u-joints in both driveshafts along with taking a look at the condition of the centering joint in the front double-cardan joint. Power steering, brakes, flush the radiator and refill with distilled water/coolant. Basic tuneup stuff aplies as well so cap/rotor, plugs and wires too. Unless you have good trustworthy records for the service, treat it as a worst-case scenario and give yourself a good baseline to work from.

Try running the self diagnostic test the car has, I just found out about it myself. I also have a '92 xj. If you have a hanes manual, it tells you how to do it and also lists all the trouble codes.

1200 with 82,000 miles? How do you think you over paid? Is the body straight? If its crooked then yeah you payed to much for it other then that you basicly stole it.
I got my 95 with the same milage and payed 5200. if i'm not mistaken they are basicly the same vehicle, except mine has an air bag and few more safety features.
Your lucky you found this site when you got the XJ, I didnt discover it until 6 months later, and sure could have used this reasource during that period.

This is a great site. I found that i got a good deal. It needs a fender and some welding of rust repair. the doors sag a lot, but over all I am happy with it.

mike

muddy92xj said:
This is a great site. I found that i got a good deal. It needs a fender and some welding of rust repair. the doors sag a lot, but over all I am happy with it.

mike
yeah the longer / larger 2 doors weigh more and i think it puts more stress on the hinges that were designed for use on the 4 door. I could be wrong, but the same thing is happening to myne (1992, 2 door) my door sags so much i can look out the weatherstripping and see sky when im in the drivers seat. im planning a quick removal for the doors anyway and will attempt to realign them at that point

I think there's a repair kit from Jeep for the pulled-out hinges, if they haven't yet torn out too badly. If the hinge has torn out, you can reweld it, but do yourself a favor and take the fender and door off to do it, so that you can get it right the first time. I've seen a few that were badly bodged together without this, including my stepson's '93 when we got it, and a bad repair makes the next one harder. I cannot figure out why Jeep built these hinges the way they did, especially with no weld on the trailing edge. The gap is rather large, but if you put a piece of rod into that gap, and then weld over it to form a very wide fillet, it will help prevent the hinge from flexing again.

In addition, on a 2-door, you can do two things to help prevent future damage. First, look at the stop that is built into the hinge itself. When the door hits that, it will start to pull the hinge outward. You can file or grind that out a little bit, allowing the door to swing further out before it flexes. Second, either shorten the rod of the check strap (if you've just welded the hinge back on, you have the equipment to weld the hole shut, grind a quarter inch off the end, and drill a new hole further in), or add a couple of washers on its studs where it mounts inside the door, so that it is effectively shortened when mounted. The check strap is too weak to hold the door when it swings open, and the door frame itself tends to pull outward, and that is why the door hits the stops in the hinge and pulls its hinges apart. Shortening it will help a little, though it's still possible for the check strap to pull right through the door frame.

Back