• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

up hill battle

timjeep

NAXJA Forum User
my problem is that when i driving on the road and i'm going up a 60 degree hill and about quarter of a mile long i just can't seem to make it with out the engine shooting up near the 3,000 rpm range. the mod's that i do have is i have replace the intake with an aftermarket system. any info would be great or if this is not enough i will try tell list more. thanks for answering

My guess from the lack of information you provided is that you have an automatic. What engine, what transmission, what size tires and what gears do you have in those axles? Those would all make some big difference in engine speed...of course a 60* hill makes ANY engine work hard (draw it out...that's friggin steep)

PlainWhiteXJ said:
I've never been to Georgia, but I'm guessing that they don't have any 60 degree hills. If they do, they're definitely not very tall!
I've been to Georgia and I saw some tall mountains (or whatever you want to call teh biiiiiiiiig chunk of rock they carved the generals in).
ANywyas as it was mentioned the big question is gears and tranny and tire size. When I had 235's with stock gears (3.07's) they suffered on climbs. When I put 4.11's it got better. When I went up to 31's it got worse again but not bad. When I put 4.88's it feels like I can sometimes climb a tree.

According to the Guiness Book of World Records, the steepest paved street in the entire world is Baldwin Street in Dunedin, New Zealand. It is a 79% grade, meaning it goes up at an angle of 38 degrees. Given that, I doubt any of us have ever driven up a 60 degree hill.

I noticed mine doing the same thing at the dunes in Jacksonville FL this weekend, It seemed like it was going to stop everytime i got 3/4 the way up but finaly I layed into it, the tires spun and up we went.
I have 31's with automatic 231 stockgears and full intake/exhaust.

I had a hard time going up dump bump but I finally made it. Sorry timjeep couldn't resit.

PlainWhiteXJ said:
I've never been to Georgia, but I'm guessing that they don't have any 60 degree hills. If they do, they're definitely not very tall!

There are some pretty serious hills in the north Georgia mountains, but I'm not sure about the grades.

sorry to leave so much infomation out. of course i have the 4.0 with an automatic along with stock tires. have the np231. the hill i will try to explain it better this time. it just seems that the engine is working harder than it should be when i go up hills. that's all i was tryin to say.

Back