• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'97 Misfiring

basalt51

NAXJA Member #761
Just before I hit the trail last week my check engine light came on and it sarted idling rough. The code was code 43. It didn't seem too noticible at higher RPMs. No it is idling really rough and it's more noticible at higher rpms. The plugs and wires were replaced about 3 weeks ago by the dealership. Why they didn't replace the cap and rotor I don't know, but I did that today. No improvement. So I started pulling the injector connectors to find the faulty cyclinders. 1 and 6 seem to be the culprits as there was no change when I pulled the plugs for those. Of course when I pulled those it threw code 27 for each cylinder.

Any ideas of what to check next? Anything that effects both cylinder 1 and 6?

Thanks

My 97 was doing the same thing to me right after i changed my plugs and wires. It turns out that my Crankshaft Position Senson on the bell housing had gone bad. Replaced it and the rough idle went away. I still have a random miss every once in a while, but i havent been able to locate the problem yet. I'm thinking there is a loose connection somewhere, but i havent found any yet. Keep posted on what the problem with your 97 is, maybe we have the same problem.

Could it be clogged injectors on cylinder 1 and 6? How would I check? They are definately getting spark so does that eliminate the distributor?

Distributor?

CPS?

I tried checking the voltage on the TPS and either it is jacked or I couldn't get the probes to make contact with the connectors from behind.

Ok. I switched injectors 1 and 3 and I'm still missing on 1 and 6 so it isn't the injectors.

Can anybody help!?!?

Osprey413 said:
What is code 43 btw? Is it the same as P1391?
They can't be same. I don't have my list to look them up but the odb2 has 4 digit codes. IIRC the layout is as follows:
First digit specifioes if it's generic or manufacturer specific (0 generic 1 manufacturer specific) second indicates where it lies (which group of devices: emissions, drivetrain and so on) and last two are specific error codes within that group.

43 is a general misfire code. If I had an OBDII reader it would tell me which cylinders with the specific code.

If you have an ohmmeter or a very sensitive voltmeter, check the wiring harness to the injectors. Specifically, look for resistance or voltage drop in the positive line from the ignition to the injector plugs. It's dark-green and orange, I think. The computer switches the negative, and the common positive branches to the injectors via a number of splices in the harness. If a splice goes bad, this can cause problems.

jeepguy97 said:
Code 43 is ignition coil #1 primary circuit.

Do you have nay documentation for that? Everything I've seen says it's a "cylinder misfire detected"

jneary said:
did you ever check to see if the dist cap was cracked inside. soetimes a vacuu leak can cause a misfire on opposite cylinders.

First thing I did was replace the cap and rotor. I also just rearranged all the fuel injectors and replaced the o-rings. Same problem. Same cylinders. Also replaced the TPS. I also check all the vacuum hoses I could see with a gauge.

So what could cause a misfire on cylinders 1 and 6 that are getting spark and the injectors work?

How bad will it be to take it to work and back (25 miles)?

Bad coil I tell you. I just had this problem in the shop I work in. It was a bad coil and it still had spark and fuel. But when I checked the coil there was no resistance.

So how much is a new coil and how do I check it?

EDIT: Looking it up in AlldataDIY.com. Thx.

Last edited:
Well, the old coil reads 1.4 ohms primary and 14.4K secondary. The new one reads 1.2 ohms and 13k ohms.

Both seem within spec though the primary on the old one could be 2 tenths high. I don't know if it is still worth changing the coil. I guess I'ld have a trail spare if it doesn't work.

This ones killin me. If you have compression spark and fuel you shouldnt have a misfire. And the coil sounds ok to me as well. Did you do a compression test? Is the timing off at all? You replaced rotor and cap and all right. I'll keep thinkin.

A compression test is beyond my capabilities and I don't know whether or not the timing is off (beyond my equipment and abilities as well). I am getting spark but I don't know if it is at the right time. I changed all the injectors around and I'm still missing on 1 and 6 so I assume I'm getting fuel but I can't be sure. Cylinder 2 fires with the #1 injector connector connected to it so I'm assuming the connector is working too. Same for #6. I did replace the cap and rotor and the plug wires are only 4 weeks old. The wires are routed correctly.

It just came out of nowhere too.

Back