• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ballast resistor voltage?????

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '90 XJ 4.0 AW4. The fuel pump was replaced a few months ago, as well as the injectors and o rings.

Right now my fuel pressure is reading 32 pounds at idle, and 37ish pounds with the ignition in the run position.

With the vac tube on the pressure regulator disconnected, the fuel pressure goes up to about 40 pounds, while running.

I checked the voltage on the ballast resistor. On the side closest to the headlights, it is reading about 14 volts. On the side closest to the firewall, it's reading about 8.5 volts.

Is this normal, or do I have a bad resistor? If it is, should I just splice the wires together and forget about it, or use it as a temp fix until I get a new one?

Thanks... !!!

Your numbers look about right.

Mine tested to about 14.5V in and 9V out (with the motor running), it´s a new ballast resistor (the old one got splashed with water and cracked). With the motor running, I get about the same fuel pressure readings, you are getting.
Mine seemed to be starved for fuel, around 2000 RPM and didn´t have much top end. Thought it was the fuel delivers system. Turned out to be mostly the O2 sensor. Along with a TPS adjustment and some vacume leaks.

Last edited:
The voltages you recorded are in the ball park. But since you have a volt meter, you can probably measure ohms, or resistance. Since it is a ballast resistor, to see if it's good or not you need to measure the resistance between the two posts. Unplug both plugs and measure the resistance. Your meter should read about 1.1 ohms. These resistors generally work or don't work. So they're at 1.1 ohm good or infinity (open) if bad. I keep a spare one mounted just below the factory one. If I get no fuel pressure, I just move the plugs down and be on my way. (Don't forget to buy a replacement ASAP!).
Mopars had these on the firewall for the ignition system for years. You only needed to get stranded once to learn the trick! (And they're cheap too.)

Back