• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

so what gave you guys the most trouble?

Gary E

NAXJA Member #687
Fordyce, the Con or Barrett? I'm betting on Fordyce, Its a long haul in a day and can wear on some of the less hardened types. :) Well that and it was the first round also. :)

How did you like it Richard, It was your first time right? I still think its my favorite. (fordyce)

I don't know about Barrett, but Fordyce seemed to be the most fun. Richard got to play tow truck from winch hill #2 through the ledges on winch hill #4(?). Poomba spent the night there and Andy, Jes, Dan and ? (can't remember if there were more) went and got him the next morning. Crazymopar spent the night at the bottom of winch hill #5 with broken control arm(s) and drivelines. I think the early birds got done around 10 or 11, some came in around midnight, some around 3:00, and Richard, Kazman, BigRed, Crash and I got in right around 5:00.

Rubicon was pretty uneventful.

Lincoln said:
I don't know about Barrett, but Fordyce seemed to be the most fun. Richard got to play tow truck from winch hill #2 through the ledges on winch hill #4(?). Poomba spent the night there and Andy, Jes, Dan and ? (can't remember if there were more) went and got him the next morning.

You forget my name already?

While Fordyce was a little harder, Rubicon was just long and hard on the sheetmetal. The two days at Buck Island were hard on the beer supply, though so was the six hours I waited at the top of winch hill 5, so thats a wash I guess :D

basalt51 said:
You forget my name already?

While Fordyce was a little harder, Rubicon was just long and hard on the sheetmetal. The two days at Buck Island were hard on the beer supply, though so was the six hours I waited at the top of winch hill 5, so thats a wash I guess :D

Sorry Jason, I don't know why I forgot you? Brain Fart I guess.

I take it you stayed until Friday morning? I glad we got out of there Thursday. Dad his panties all in a wad over something. I didn't even yell at him or heckle him all day. :D

Sorry we took off without you. I figured you would be longer, but it sounded like you had just gotten to the springs when we were back in the trees after cadilac.

Lincoln said:
I don't know about Barrett, but Fordyce seemed to be the most fun. Richard got to play tow truck from winch hill #2 through the ledges on winch hill #4(?). Poomba spent the night there and Andy, Jes, Dan and ? (can't remember if there were more) went and got him the next morning. Crazymopar spent the night at the bottom of winch hill #5 with broken control arm(s) and drivelines. I think the early birds got done around 10 or 11, some came in around midnight, some around 3:00, and Richard, Kazman, BigRed, Crash and I got in right around 5:00.

I suck at names, but there were 4 that came back the next morning. Jes drove my rig while I carried my favorite stacking rock about 6 miles and used it 300 times. Andy welded under there some more, and we got the driveline back together, though I wuz digging pretty deep for endcaps by then. We stopped and got Lee (Crazy4mopar) on up the hill. I don't know if pushing helped any, but least I felt like I was trying to help. :wave1: My rig by then, we didn't dare take a chance on it blowing another ujoint/yoke so we just strapped it and called it good. Then fell in the lake and killed all the fish..we were a lil dirty by then. Was a good time, and I'd have given anything to keep at it, but common sense, every NOW and then, prevails and I came on back. :jester: Take care..I'm working on either a new rig..which my instincts tell me to go with..or..cheaper..much cheaper..hope I can trust a unibody all cracked to hell...I've gone back and forth several times..wearing a trough in the floor, pacing back and forth :). Hard to say when to give up..or give in... Was an unforgetable experience..cough..can't deny that.

Lincoln said:
Sorry Jason, I don't know why I forgot you? Brain Fart I guess.

I take it you stayed until Friday morning? I glad we got out of there Thursday. Dad his panties all in a wad over something. I didn't even yell at him or heckle him all day. :D

Sorry we took off without you. I figured you would be longer, but it sounded like you had just gotten to the springs when we were back in the trees after cadilac.

No worries. People often try to forget me :D

It was pretty late by the time we got into the Springs after Richard blew his stub shaft, so I wouldn't have waited for me either. We had a good time thursday night too so I was glad I stayed.

Lincoln said:

Glad you guys had fun, especially you out of state guys. That was the longest wheeling day I have ever been a part of. Glad to see also that you guys had fun on the Con and Barrett without anymore breakdowns. Nice meeting everyone. Lets do it again. Heah Richard, you want to host a tour of Johnson Valley? That would be a nice destination in the winter when all these Sierra trails are snowed in. ;)
Sorry I wasn't able to say goodbye to you guys Sunday morning, but I figured you guys would be sleeping in and I couldn't sleep in my jeep for more than 10 minutes or so. It took me about 2-1/2 to get back to Sac. I went to Bowman Lake and then made my way to I-80 via Hwy 20.

I thought Fordyce was every bit as hard as the Con if not more in some spots, nice stuff. :guitar:
Later...Troy

Last edited:
ChuckD said:
So I guess Swamp was just a mere warm-up. ;)

Did your wife pack you some more sandwiches like you had at Swamp? :laugh3: Just joking dude, the wait was pretty hardcore, huh? :roll: What happened to you nice rig on the Con? I know that I had some door damage on the True Big Sluice after the Little Sluice, lots of fun though. Fordyce was awesome. We have such nice trails in our part of the state.

poomba said:
I'm working on either a new rig..which my instincts tell me to go with..or..cheaper..much cheaper..hope I can trust a unibody all cracked to hell...I've gone back and forth several times..wearing a trough in the floor, pacing back and forth :). Hard to say when to give up..or give in... Was an unforgetable experience..cough..can't deny that.

I didn't see the extent of your damages, just helped with your extraction from the trail, don't just give that thing away. With a few items addressed and a rear dana 44 under it and some welds etc, you should be up and running in no time. You might want to lift it some more. How much lift are you running? With those flares you don't need much, 3" if that. Hang in there bud, heah are you a part of the wrenching crew going on in UT at the school? You could really be up and running again soon if you got in there a few times, and the price is so cheap for all the help and tools you have access to.
Troy

Gary E said:
Fordyce, the Con or Barrett? I'm betting on Fordyce, Its a long haul in a day and can wear on some of the less hardened types. :) Well that and it was the first round also. :)

How did you like it Richard, It was your first time right? I still think its my favorite. (fordyce)

Fordyce definitely, and it was my first time. Our main group had no breakdowns on Rubicon, other than my stub shaft and second hub, but the shaft had to have been really stressed when the hub broke on Fordyce. I didn't even know when it broke, I just noticed the left front had quit pulling, and the pieces of the stub shaft took out the hub. Brian had some trouble when he and Mike came in a day later, and they left his rig near Spider. Andy and Jes went with Mike to get Brian's rig the next moring, but I don't remember what the problem was.

The problems were on Fordyce, and got very complicated from the original breakage. John's main problem was that the pumpkin had spun, but we didn't notice it and he continued to break yokes. Lee's problem all started when the aluminum lift blocks broke in the back, taking out his rear driveline, and eventually the front.

I really like Fordyce, it has plenty of challenge and great scenery. I'd like to do it next year, maybe even instead of the Rubicon if opportunity is tight, and take a few days and camp along the trail. I won't have a week for either next year, so it would be a four day weekend trip.

Goatman said:
I really like Fordyce, it has plenty of challenge and great scenery. I'd like to do it next year, maybe even instead of the Rubicon if opportunity is tight, and take a few days and camp along the trail. I won't have a week for either next year, so it would be a four day weekend trip.

Well, I did the camp along the trail part...next time, I want it to be my decision! And hey...get some softer rocks out there... :anon:

Goatman said:
Lee's problem all started when the aluminum lift blocks broke in the back, taking out his rear driveline, and eventually the front.
I picked up a set of cast iron blocks today and and upper UCA's. The uca's will have solid stock and plating welded on them so they will hold up for the next Fordeyce trip in 2 weeks.

Back