• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Pinion Nut Removal?

JB98

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Guys...Brand new here although I have lurked for a while. Tons of great info! I have been trying to remove the rear pinion nut on my 98 XJ (Chry. 8.25) to remove the yoke from the rear differential. Any trick to this? My impact did'nt touch it. I've tried a breaker bar but have trouble holding the yoke. Any ideas? Thanks.

I know this is an old thread but at least i searched it haha. i am wondering can i just pop the pinion nut off throw a new yoke on and then impact the nut back on and it wont mess up my new gears i just installed. i broke the drive shaft u joint bolt off in the yoke haha any advice would be great.

Yes you can but you gotta get the preload back to what it should be. We've done it in the past with good results - the best thing to do is use a torque wrench to get torque value and a feel for how easily the gears spin. Once you install the pinion nut again, tighten it back until there is a similar torque required to spin the differential. I've had good luck with this method.

Back