• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gross Polluter

Cherokid

NAXJA Forum User
89 limited, 230k smiles, stone stock.
The numbers are:
15mph 1497rpm HC max:123 measured: 258 CO max: 0.73 measured 3.57
25mph 579 rpm HC max:103 measured 254 CO max:0.93 measured 2.83
Did the search and I believe the next thing would be plugs, O2 sensor and give it a thorough warm up. Any other budget minded suggestions before I get spendy?
TIA
Cherokid

... also plan on a new cat if it hasen't been swapped out recently.

My XJ is also due for its bi-annual enima next week.

I went through this the last time around and was forced to replace the cat... and my numbers were no where near yours. And before testing I replaced the plugs, rotor, cap ... cleaned my K&N .... and put fresh oil in the crankcase.

All I can say is good luck.

FYI ... you can thank our ex Gov. Gray Davis and the rest of the liberal politicians for tightening emission standards on early model vehicles. I've kept all my records over the years and found the thresholds have been mysteriously changing in order to remove older vehicles off the planet. Doesn't seem right since they were originally designed to meet the standards at the time.

Last edited:
Yah I'm afraid it's been rode hard and put away wet repeatedly. This is defineately going to be a Hail Mary pass. Actually this is a jeep I bought about two months ago and never got around to smogging. Any thoughts on getting the ex owner to cover this, what the legalities are?
Thanks.
PS. "ex" is the best part of gov. Davis' title.

in califonia, the SELLER is responsible to smog the car. if he didnt the sale isnt complete. im not sure to the exact wording and rules, but i know that the SELER is responsible to smog the car before the title can be transfered. i know this because i had to spend 550 on my Ford Ranger to get it to pass smog before i could sel it for 2,200.

Also try taking the negitive battery cable off for 1/2 hour so your computer can clear the air fule mixture and re "learn" the mix. sometimes the computer can be mesing you up.
when u reattach negitive, start the car and let it idle for roughly 10 minutes to relearn the mix.

One other thing to bear in mind: when you do go for smog, make sure that a) the car is warm (i.e., has been running and driven normally for a good 20 minutes at least), and b) doesn't have any fuel system cleaners, octane boosters, 'guaranteed smog pass' additives, etc. in the fuel. These things can cause a false fail by (in some cases) raising acceptable emissions levels for the tank of gas that they're in there.

Also, if you have run additives such as these recently, let a half-a-tank of 'clean' gas go through the fuel system before going to the smog center. Granted, that's a bit on the paranoid side but you want to make sure that anything still in the bottom of the tank when you filled up has been either used or diluted to the point where it doesn't matter.

Last edited:
Back