• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Got a Brake? problem

LouisianaZJ

NAXJA Member #1362
OK I after driving for about 5 miles in stop and go traffic the jeep starts to pull to the left when driving and when braking pulled right. I pull over and the drivers side caliper/hub/rotor area smelled like "burnt"/heated metal when you hit it with a grinder or something if you know what that smells like, it was also smoking alot bit. might have been the pads I was smelling too

Sticky caliper I guess.. I put in new pads and rotors 3 weeks ago. I get a remaufactured caliper from the nearest idiot zone ( $18 + core not too bad) . Swap it out in record time (25minutes ) I noticed when I took it off though, the caliper was not really stuck to the rotor or anything. I
bleed it the best I could (no tubing or speed bleeders).

upon closer inspection of the old caliper, I notice the old piston on 1/4 of the circumference the outer edge of the piston was chipped off ! pic:
www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=4790186
so I an guessing this piece must have chipped off, go stuck between the pad and the piston, forcing the caliper to lock up and this piece must have eventually fallen out.

The hubs seemed OK, no play at all.

I still smell a little bit of that burning smell after driving it some more, not nearly as bad as before no smoking either. I jacked up the axle and rotated the wheel and it has the same amount of drag as the pass side does. Could it be I glazed the rotors/pads or something from overheating and that is wearing off?

I'm going to take it apart tommorow and double check everything and do a thurough bleeding at all 4 corners.

i dont know about the stickyness, but the bruning smell is a common thing with new pads, they have a layer that has to be melted/burned/worn off...

take a look at the rotors and see if there are any grooves from that piece that may have broken off...

good luck
-XJ_Ranger

Back