• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Auto Tranny Question

dbltapp

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96 Cherokee,automatic, and was wondering what tranny and transfer case I have? I was also wondering about what gear I should be driving around in, 3 or OD? I ask because I just got rid of my 89 Suburban, and driving around in OD w/that trans, is a bad idea. Thanx.

As for the OD and 3 question you definitely want to be in OD. I have a 1996 XJ w/auto and you should get around 20 to the gallon if you do that. As for the tranny and T-case you'll have to ask some of the other guys since i have yet to do any mods on those yet.

you have the AW4 auto, the NP231 or 242 T-case. The easy way to find out is if the shift pattern is this 2h-4h-N-4L this is the 231, anything else is the 242. because it has the full-time option. Also there is a tag on the back of the t-case that will tell you the number. Good day

Also note that if you have the NP231 tcase, you probably have the disconnect font axle as well. This can easily be verified by the presence/absence of the vacuum shift motor on the long (passenger) side axle tube. NP242 tcases did not come with disco motors.

5-90

5-90 said:
Also note that if you have the NP231 tcase, you probably have the disconnect font axle as well. This can easily be verified by the presence/absence of the vacuum shift motor on the long (passenger) side axle tube. NP242 tcases did not come with disco motors.

5-90

You must not have noticed the year of dbltapp's XJ: it's a 96 - no disco for either version.

Back