• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Left Turn Indicator gets BOTH Rear Flashers

STL Enterprises

NAXJA Forum User
HELP again. 99 XJ 92k miles, totally stock

I have the intermittent dash electrical problem, and am getting the parts to fix it this weekend - thanks all. Additionally, I've noticed that intermittently, seems to be more with the Left Turn Indicator the rear flashers (both sides) come on. There is no indication of this from inside the vehicle, but I've seen it when following the XJ, and someone stopped me in a parking lot Sunday and asked if I had meant to turn on my emergency flashers.

I have replaced the combined turn indicator/emergency flasher module ($35), but evidently the problem is still happening. I can't tell when driving it - only the left dash arrow comes on.

I haven't yet looked at bulbs, corrosion, etc. California vehicle, dry climate so I wouldn't expect to find anything...

Any thoughts - I've searched, and there doesn't appear to be anything like this posted before.

Actually, this problem was noted before I installed the T-connector for the trailer wiring. Trailer wiring hasn't seemed to effect the problem. What is your theory about how trailer wiring could cause this problem? I could see a short circuit, but this???

my '99 is doing the same thing...ive checked and rechecked everything with wiring, fuses, relays etc...i have come to the conclusion that the problem lies in the turn signal switch in the housing for the signal lever. im thinking its this because i drive around with my highbeams on a lot and one time i noticed that it wasnt doing it while they were on..(i drove by a large window and saw the reflection) so when i got home i parked it with the rear facing my moms kj so i could see the reflection again...when i put the left signal on without high beams it flashed both...but then i tweaked the lever a bit by pulling it back slightly and it stopped, when i released it it started again. theres a little switch that you can see underneath the lever..the lever pushes on it and it switches on whatever signal or beam you want. check yours the same way i did...
im getting this to fix it... http://www.jeepsareus.com/Merchant2...e_Code=JAU&Product_Code=MB50&Category_Code=C2
that link should take you to a replacement part from JeepsAreUs. not too bad price-wise.

Thanks, I will look into that... I was beginning to wonder if it had something to do with the brakes being applied when the left turn signal was on - but this makes more sense. did replacing your switch take care of the problem?
Larry

i havent done it yet because im in the process of fixing my girlfriends '97 overheating problem so i havent gotten around to it yet. i am about 99% sure that is what will fix mine...i probably wont get around to it until a couple weeks from now though. for now im content driving around with my highbeams on so that it doenst do it haha. if i get to it sooner and it works ill let you know.

if your sure it is not the switch. since it only happens on the left, check the front bulb. it could shorted to the park lamp filament and feeding current back through the other lights. a quick way to verify this, would be to switch it with the right front bulb and see if it changes. it could also be the bulb socket.

Thanks everybody - I hope to have time to play with it this weekend! I'll let you know what I find... I've never had a vehicle with so many gremlins...

STL Enterprises said:
Actually, this problem was noted before I installed the T-connector for the trailer wiring. Trailer wiring hasn't seemed to effect the problem. What is your theory about how trailer wiring could cause this problem? I could see a short circuit, but this???
sence your problem was before the harness upgrade then ill retract my bet lol but ill try to explain it for you anyway your jeep uses two seprate bulbs one for turnsigs and one for tail & brake lights [ i belive this is refered as a 3 light setup even though it only has two bulbs there is two filiments in the tail/brake bulb] the trailer wiring has a converter in it to convert to the two light setup which uses one bulb with the two filiments in it, which uses one filiment for your tail light and the other for your brake and turn light. the converter must figure out when you just have the turn sig on or the brake on or both on and if it went bad it could short from one turn to the other and make both flash when you turn on one. but sence you stated that this was happining befor you added the trailer harnes ill bet on the turn signal switch on the stearing wheel.

I have seen problems similar to this because of a faulty ground. There is one particular ground that causes tons of tail light problems. It is located in the drivers side rear panel, behind the facia that is behind the spare tire. It consists of a bunch of wires held to the frame by a sheet metal screw about a foot or so above the bed. LOL

I didn't get a chance to look at the XJ today, but hopefully tomorrow - I'll look into that ground as well, I've had experience with grounding issues on Fords and they can be FUN!

All responses appreciated - I will let you know what I find!

My sons 00' has had the same problem since he bought it several months ago. His is more intermitent and has been very difficult to trace. It ONLY happens when he is moving at speed and ONLY when he applys the left turn signal! But not always?

I've posted this one before with no luck.
I'll be glued to my seat watching this thread!

I posted this previously on a related thread, but here is what I've discovered so far:

I think it is likely that all of these problems are related to the turn signal/high beam/low beam/hazard switch assembly. After experimenting some in a place where I could tell which outside lights were on, my turn signals seemed to generally work ok if the stalk was in the high beam position, regardless of whether the headlights were on or not. Also, any wiggling of the stalk would tend to make the "phantom" signal disappear until the signal was re-triggered. Additionally, pushing the hazard switch away from the driver (toward the front of the vehicle) kept the errent taillight from flashing, pulling it toward the rear of the vehicle seemed to make the problem more frequent.

I haven't had a chance to actually look inside the thing, but it seems clear that something is contacting where it shouldn't be - physical clearance type of deal - inside the swith assy.

filmxj....
Thanks for bumping this thread, I have the same problem with my 99.
(guess i missed your other thread)
Allways thought it might be the switch itself.
NOW i know where else to start looking to solve the problem.

My Wife,s 98 does this ,and today another late model XJ did it in front of me,so it seems to be a common problem.Has anyone found a factory TSB for the problem.
Wayne

And I thought that I was alone on this one. Mine has been doing it for a few months now. I don't use my turn signals much anyways and now I never do when turning left. At first I thought that it would be the trailer harness also but I pulled all of that out and its still there. I will have to see about getting a new switch. I might junk yard one and see if that helps.

My 99 did it about a block away fromm pulling out of carmax when I bought it a year and a half ago. A new turn signal switch did the trick. very common problem on the last generation XJ...i've seen several around town doing it too.

I'm calling my buddy at the local dealership.....too much of a coincidence, gotta be a known issue. My 2000 will random phantom e-flashers on a left signal too.

It is the switch. Mine does it too, but if I give it a little tap from the bottom it will stop. I have searched this forum in the past and found several threads on the topic. I personally think it is a poor design issue combined with my theory, people probably pull down harder than they push up causing it to wear out quicker.

3 solutions. Replace it. Dont use it or hold it down w/o clicking it to lock.

Back