• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anti lock brakes

tomwest49

NAXJA Forum User
Any one know how or if you can disable the anti lock brake system. I put a used rear end in my sons 1990 Cherokee and it does not have the anti lock system. Every time I turn the system off it doesn't want to stop with out putting your foot through the floor.
:helpme:

To disable you can pull all of the fuses in the engine bay.

This is ONLY ok to do as long as you DON'T have the Bendix ABS system.

The older XJ's (and I think yours is one) are equipped with an ABS system from Bendix. These systems are the subject of a lifetime recall/warranty campaign, due to the tendency to fail in ways that render the vehicle with NO BRAKES!

I would STRONGLY urge you to remove the ENTIRE ABS system, if you are going to the trouble of putting new brakes on the rear axle already.

According to the original post, this is a 1990 XJ. That means it DOES have the Bendix anti-lock system. I think the lifetime warrenty is void now that the sysem has been modified (replacing the rear axle with a non-abs).

If the replacement axle assembly is a D35, you could pull the axles (with tone rings) from the old assembly and install them in the replacement axle housing. You would need the sensors, of course too. This would probably continue the lifetime warrenty.

Considering the poor reputation of this ABS system in particular, if it was MY XJ, I would rip out all the ABS components and refit it with conventional brakes. Be forewarned......

When I pull the fuse to diaable the system I can't stop the thing without putting both feet on the brake pedal and pushing very hard and then it will not stop easily. Can I take the whole system out and replace it with a standard master cyclinder? Will a standard master cyclinder bolt up where the bendix was?

Oh yeah the replacement rear end is an 89 and does not have the c clips so I cannot use the axles from the 90 which does have the c clip rear end right!

MoFo said:
According to the original post, this is a 1990 XJ. That means it DOES have the Bendix anti-lock system. I think the lifetime warrenty is void now that the sysem has been modified (replacing the rear axle with a non-abs).

If the replacement axle assembly is a D35, you could pull the axles (with tone rings) from the old assembly and install them in the replacement axle housing. You would need the sensors, of course too. This would probably continue the lifetime warrenty.
installing the incorrect rear axle wont void the warranty on the abs. only the pump is lifetime warranty and possibly the hydraulic control unit, im not sure about that. if you got a non abs rear diff assembly from a junk yard, maybe they will exchange it for one with abs, since they should have asked you if it had it or not. if not maybe you can wap the axles and backing plates from the original diff assembly

Back