• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Nut-Zert question

RTownsend

NAXJA Forum User
Hi Guys,

I'm finally going to make a parts list and get started on my Farmer Matt style roof rack.

I have a few questions.

1) Do the holes under the factory rails go through to the interior?

2) I assume my 91' has Nut-Zerts. If so will I need new ones?

3) I've thought of just building a basket with tabs and screwing it to the factory rail. Has anyone did this? How did it work out?

Thanks

Ralph Townsend

Wellnuts.......-

That is what holds the factory rack in place. They are a rubber stopper looking thing with a nut inside that causes it to expand as it is tightened.

1. Yes they do go through to an extent but there are structural pieces under the skinn where the well-nuts are. Part of the unibody "frame"

2. Depends on what you plan on doing? Roof Rack or a heavy duty roof rack that will be used to winch off of! LOL! Or like me tie it into an exoskelleton. (dreaming again!)

3. Hmmm. I would think that if any serious force was applied to it. It would rip off! Serious force IMHO could be running by a large tree branch that does not break or boulder overhang etc......

These are my HO.....

So if I remove the old rails I will have to waterproof the holes until I get the new rails on and sealed up?

I'm planning on using the rack to carry some gear from time to time but mostly for a spare, jack, axe and shovel.

I hope I don't ever need to use it as a winch point!:D

Only if you remove the wellnuts. Throw the mount screws in there and they will seal. Mine did! Well enough that is!

Back