• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spraying Oil

Moto

NAXJA Member #576
My 98XJ works great just driving around town but when I go on the highway for any ride and drive around 2k to 3k rpms, what looks to be the rear main seal just lets go or something and I spay oil everywhere, and I mean alot of oil it sprays all over the exhaust and starts smoking and it blows off so much oil that it ends up all over the back hatch and windows and on the sides of my Jeep. It used to only do it a little bit but now it is getting bad and I now avoid driving the XJ as much as possible. I tried taking off the oil cap thinking maybe I have too much crankcase pressure, but it doesnt seem to be blowing off from the dipstick tube or anything, and the rear main seal doesnt leak when just driving normal, its driving me crazy and I have to constantly put oil in it, but on the plus side its a nice rust prevention technique.

Once my oil pressure sending unit was leaking out the back where the wire goes into it. It wasnt obvious as to where it was coming from and it didnt do it all the time. It did coat my underside and tailgate one day coming home from work on the freeway.

I just cleaned everything up real good with some rags, then had someone rev it up while I was watching underneath. I just happened to notice a little drip coming off the starter and followed it up to where I finally saw the oil pressure sender dripping.

It was a cheap repair, luckily.

The oil sending unit does tend to spray oil when it goes bad. If you had an oil change done recently, the mechanic might have clobbered the oil sending unit in the process of removing the oil filter (it's a common problem). Here's a pic of what you're looking for:

http://www.imagestation.com/mypictu...9619947/f7a9293e.jpg&caption=oil sending unit

*edit* It's located a little below & a little aft of the distributor. If it's leaking, the sensor on the end of the unit will be wet with oil. When under serious pressure, WOT perhaps, the oil will spray around the engine bay. And it will drip down the engine to the bellhousing, & onto the exhaust -- it can sort of mimick a rear main seal problem. Hope this helps.

Back