• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

throttle response/hi speed dog

izzi mike

NAXJA Forum User
throttle response/hi speed dog
going down the hiway,my gas pedal dont seem to do anything when i go past halfway to the floor.it will eventually kick down the trans a gear(auto)if i take off from a stop and get on it it is fine.my 2000 XJ runs good for the most part. i bought it a few months ago and slowly have been going thru it. it has new plugs and k&n drop in. the dealer tuned it ?when i had to take it in for stripped spark plug holes.supposedly the tps and 02 sensors are not bad according to the dealer. he told me when they tuned it after the plugs were changed that the machine would have showed a problem if a had one.THE QUESTION IS ,are these things (at highway speeds )just lame when you romp on it? also it was 96 degrees and i'm running 265/75/16(31.6") and stock speedo gear.
i could live with it..........if its normal.
thanx,mike

izzi mike said:
THE QUESTION IS ,are these things (at highway speeds )just lame when you romp on it? also it was 96 degrees and i'm running 265/75/16(31.6") and stock speedo gear.
i could live with it..........if its normal.

It depends on where you are in relation to road speed and the kickdown limits.

My '01 kicks down from fourth to second at speeds under about 65mph, but only from fourth to third at speeds over that. Acceleration from 65-80 is reasonably decent; make sure you're nailing the kickdown fully when you punch it. On mine, it feels almost like there's a second kickdown position that needs a bit more pressure than normal in this situation: usually when my acceleration feels weak at these speeds, I've managed to avoid getting the kickdown to engage.

try this. on the cable that runs from the throttle body to the trans. there is a little button at the bracket on top of the valve cover. push and hold it down this will let the cable slide in the bracket. then use your other hand [engine not running] and open the throttle all the way, release the button then the throttle this will set the [forget the proper name] kickdown cable to where it should be. i have mine set a coupple of clicks past the factory setting thinking that it helps in firming up the shifts.

Check the fuel pressure. I had similar problems with my '90 4.0. Turned out a hose connection at the fuel pump inside the gas tank was loose.

Larry A.

Back