• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CA Labor law question

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
OK, I know I have seen this before but I can't find it when I need it. I'm looking for information about what is considered start of a day for an employee who has to work at a different location then his office. I remember reading something that talked about the travel time being included in the "work day", but I don't recall the details and I have looked at http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/.html/lab_table_of_contents.html and I can't find anything referring to it! Does anyone know the code, or law that I'm talking about? (btw this is for a non-exempt employee)

Another example of CAs anti-business climate.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=lab&group=00001-01000&file=500-558

Does not seem to address your question directly.

Travel for Work- If an employee is required to report to the office before proceeding to an off-premises work site, all of the time from the moment of reporting until the employee is released to proceed directly to his or her home is time subject to the control of the employer, and constitutes hours worked.

Extended Travel Time- If an employee is required to attend an out-of-town business meeting, training session or any other event, the time spent driving, or as a passenger on an airplane, train, bus, taxi or car shall be paid.

In traveling to and from this out-of-town event, the time spent waiting to purchase a ticket, check baggage or board, is also considered as time worked.

On the other hand, time spent taking a break from travel in order to eat a meal, sleep, or engage in purely personal pursuits not connected with traveling or making necessary travel connections (such as, for example, spending an extra day in a city before the start or following the conclusion of a conference in order to sightsee), is not compensable.

If the employee's travel from his home to the airport is the same or substantially the same as the distance (and time) between his home and usual place of reporting for work, the travel time would not begin until the employee reached the airport.

The employee must be paid for all hours spent between the time he arrives at the airport and the time he arrives at his hotel. No further "travel" hours are incurred after the employee reaches his hotel and is then free to choose the place where he will go.

Back