• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil on front diff??

tjl1388

NAXJA Forum User
I have oil stains on the driver's side top of my front diff. I have looked up into the engine and can not see where it is coming from. It appears to only do it while under power. I have no oil pressure issues and I am not loosing alot. I would like to catch it before I do though. Any suggestions?

What year XJ do you have and is the engine a 4.0L I-6 ?
If it is one of the older XJs this might be a problem with the PCV and the hoses getting obstructed with gunk.
Check both hoses that are attached to the valve cover..... One or both might be obstructed.... If you valve cover is leaking.... it might be time to remove, replace the gasket and clean the inside of the valve cover and breather baffels where the PCV and vacuum hose connects.
Hope this helps.

Charles

I went to autozone to try to get a new pcv valve but appearently it's not exactly a pcv valve but more of a breather. I know what you mean though with oil coming out of them, I just have mine venting instead of going back to the air intake.

It is a 93 with the 4.0, I am pretty sure it is oil but i will double check and I think you guys might be right, it probably about time for a good valve cove gasket cleaning with all associated hoses.

Back