• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ECU different from 96' to 01'?

are there any differences in the ECU from a 96' to 01'? I see the same part numbers for chips for 96 thru 01... is there any reason that i need a 2000 ECU in my 2000, or could i use anything 96'+?

JeepinAudiophile said:
are there any differences in the ECU from a 96' to 01'? I see the same part numbers for chips for 96 thru 01... is there any reason that i need a 2000 ECU in my 2000, or could i use anything 96'+?
ummm same part number? I looked them up and 97 is different from 98, so there is your theory blown anyways. and I think you're thinking of 97+ not 96+.

i was just going by the jet chip part numbers, maybe i'm off my a year... either way, therefore 97+ is applicable?

JeepinAudiophile said:
i was just going by the jet chip part numbers, maybe i'm off my a year... either way, therefore 97+ is applicable?
Ah... well, jet chip is different from ECU. The fact that same jet chip can be used doesn't mean you can use the same ECU throughout the years. So, lets turn it around: why are you asking?
Anyways, getting back to the ECU, there are differences between the years. 96+ is odb2, but the wiring between 97 and 98 is different. This means that there might be different sensors. Also the last year or two has more power coming out which and there is no longer a distributor which more then likely has an impact on the ECU.

one other thing is that in 2000 the 4.o has coil on plug ignition. though i think that some of the earlier model units still used the distributor.

JEEP in all of their infinite wisdom, used the computers for 1 yr only from 97 up. And most of ALL the Chrysler line is the same way. HOWEVER I have taken a computer from a 93 and put it into a 95 and it fired up and SEEMED to have ran fine. We ( the company I work for ) sold an engine pakage to a guy with a carbed wrangler. Swaped the computer from a 93 into the 95 we had, without the computer, and it worked.

DO NOT use this as a guarantee. This is trial and error.

CharlesS said:
I believe the only years that are interchangable are 98 & 99. There is a difference in emissions controls 97 to 98 and then in 00..... well you know...

so it sounds like I couldn't swap a 1999 ecu into a 2000 xj to see if the 2000 Ecu is bad?

Back