• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

good shop in/around pdx?

swoop

NAXJA Forum User
well by the end of the summer i think i'm finally going to have my rolled xj parted out completly. so im looking for a good shop in or around portland to convert my 2wd mj into 4wd. with the tranny-t-case, front axle, lift, etc from my rolled xj. its a rusty's 4.5 inch lift, so i need a shop that can also do welding for the rear spring pads, and replace a lca mount on the front axle. also i realize it will need a custom rear DS, however i heard you can just cut it down to the right lengh, which with my cheap budget would proably be better.

also the tranny conversion would be interesting. the 5 speed manual is just about shot, it whines so loud it could probably set off car alarms... so i want to put the automatic with 242 allready mated from my xj. i know i need the tranny computer but what other parts if anyone knows perhaps? (im gonna post this Q in the oem forums as well).

or if any of you guys have shop space in or around pdx and would want to tackle this i would probably pay regular shop rates... and another great thing is i have no time constraints, id just like it done before the moab run next summer, or any big runs we might do in the NW.

I have never had experience with any shops down there first hand, but I know folks have had good work done by both Woody's in Vancouver, and Leonard's in (in Beaverton or Forest Grove, or something like that). Besides the welding and such, you'd be better off doing the engine/trans swap yourself, then having the vehicle towed to a shop for the welding and such.

As far as swap to auto is concerned, I think you'll need the engine harness too. OEM would be best place to ask that.

Steve

i recommand woodys but they are very expensive, expersts on jeeps though
also try central four wheel drive
theres also a place called wide open perferormance in vancouver that is decent but i dont know if they would tackle that big of a project.

dellstopjeep said:
also try central four wheel drive

I don't think you'll get Central to do that. They just sell stuff and install it. Mechanic might want to make some extra money on the side though... That's usually the best way to get something like that done.

thanks for the input guys! i think i may have a shop here thats parting the xj out do the tranny swap and axle swap, then take it somewhere else to do the lift and what not. id try to tackle it all myself, but i have no garage or the tools to do it...

Back