• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 drums

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
OK, so I had Raymold drums (what Kragen had in stock) but it turns out that those drums catch on the metal from the brake shoes and they drag because of that. So I took the rusty drum I had stashed in the garage from when I bought the axle and it turns out to be deeper by almost a quarter of an inch.
Unfortunately Kragen doesn't seem to have anything reasonably priced (I don't wanna pay more then 50~60 per drum) and Autozone doesn't carry drums for the d44 anymore. Pepboys can order them for about $75 ~ $80 each. I know I might end up paying that, but if I do, I wanna get what works.

So what do you guys all run? And before anyone chimes in and says a disk brake conversion.... nope, no time for that and no $ either.

not the best idea, but one option is to replace everything from the drum backing plate out with junk from a d35.

i have not had to do this as my 44 came with brakes that were VERY new, but im told it will work.

Kejtar said:
OK, so I had Raymold drums (what Kragen had in stock) but it turns out that those drums catch on the metal from the brake shoes and they drag because of that. So I took the rusty drum I had stashed in the garage from when I bought the axle and it turns out to be deeper by almost a quarter of an inch.
Unfortunately Kragen doesn't seem to have anything reasonably priced (I don't wanna pay more then 50~60 per drum) and Autozone doesn't carry drums for the d44 anymore. Pepboys can order them for about $75 ~ $80 each. I know I might end up paying that, but if I do, I wanna get what works.

So what do you guys all run? And before anyone chimes in and says a disk brake conversion.... nope, no time for that and no $ either.

not the best idea, but one option is to replace everything from the drum backing plate out with junk from a d35.

going from 10 inch to 9 inch brakes wouldnt be a good solution in my book, now a disc brake conversion if you were gonna change anything, it would be nice to take a step forward intead of a step back in brake power while running oversized meats...

but thats just me. D35 brakes will swap if so desired

I will not put 9" brakes cause I like how the 10" drums stop me..... My other option s to go to narrower shoes but I don't wanna do that either.

i bought a used XJ last year that had some thick stainless washers on the wheel studs between the drum and the axle flange (it was also a D44) and i didnt know what they were for until i put the drum and wheel back on and couldnt turn the wheel!!!! the measurements on the shoes were right as well as the contact surface on the drumk was the proper width.. the drum itself was too deep though.. the washers did the trick

mike

sidriptide said:
i bought a used XJ last year that had some thick stainless washers on the wheel studs between the drum and the axle flange (it was also a D44) and i didnt know what they were for until i put the drum and wheel back on and couldnt turn the wheel!!!! the measurements on the shoes were right as well as the contact surface on the drumk was the proper width.. the drum itself was too deep though.. the washers did the trick

mike
That sounds like real ghetto fab! I hope I will not have to resort to this.... All I need is one set of drums so that in a year or so I can do the disks (maybe). ANyways I'll try NAPA tomorrow.

Are you sure Autozone doesn't stock them? I'm looking at my receipt (from June) and it has a Duralast P/N 80003.

According to PartsAmerica.com the Raybestos/Raymold P/N is 2515 (more expensive type- $70) and 102515 ($50).

Quadratec also sells the D44 drums.

XJade said:
Are you sure Autozone doesn't stock them? I'm looking at my receipt (from June) and it has a Duralast P/N 80003.

According to PartsAmerica.com the Raybestos/Raymold P/N is 2515 (more expensive type- $70) and 102515 ($50).

Quadratec also sells the D44 drums.

Oops. Those numbers are for my year XJ. So not sure if it will work for you.

cbremer said:
you're welcome to my old D44 drums... they've been sitting in my covered driveway for almost a year- they're a mite rusty, but not too bad at all. they haven't been rained on or anything. some 220 or 320 grit should easily clean them up.

what better price than free (if you pick them up!) :D
Cool, lemme see if I can find anything @ NAPA (haven't tried them yet) but if not, I'll be over :D

I don't know if you ended up finding what you needed but you need drums for the D44 10" X 2 1/2" pads. I just ran into this problem today and autozone had the drums I needed they were part number 80003 hope this helps

BornAgainXJer said:
I don't know if you ended up finding what you needed but you need drums for the D44 10" X 2 1/2" pads. I just ran into this problem today and autozone had the drums I needed they were part number 80003 hope this helps
Thanks
it turns out that not all 10"x2.5" drums are created equal. THere is enough difference between them that sometimes they drag shoes on the inside horizontal surface. Anyways about $140 dollars later I got a set that fits me right (@ NAPA)

Back