• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing and installing OEM flares

Jeff-97XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1997 XJ and will be replacing a couple of flares that are warped. I am going to the boneyard tomorrow and want to make sure I can remove the flares from the wrecks.

I looked at mine and it appears that there are some kind of clips that hold the flares on, also one or 2 bolts.

What is the secret to removing the clips and bolts without damaging them so I can use them again.

Where can I get new hardware if I damage the bolts and clips?

Thanks,
Jeff-97XJ

All I can say is good luck. To remove the flares without damaging the plastic you'd have to unbolt them from the inside (8mm? I think). Problem is that those bolts rust over, get crap all over them and they seize and snap which is not necessarily bad as you can drill them out and use bolts later.

Oh and there are about 8 bolts I think up front and 7 or so in the rear (each flare).
Lastly you will have to get flares from a 97+ to make them fit as the previous body styles were different just enough.
Jeff-97XJ said:
I have a 1997 XJ and will be replacing a couple of flares that are warped. I am going to the boneyard tomorrow and want to make sure I can remove the flares from the wrecks.

I looked at mine and it appears that there are some kind of clips that hold the flares on, also one or 2 bolts.

What is the secret to removing the clips and bolts without damaging them so I can use them again.

Where can I get new hardware if I damage the bolts and clips?

Thanks,
Jeff-97XJ

The secret to removing the nuts without breaking the studs off the flare retaining bracket is to spray them down liberally with a quality rust penetrant. Use a deep socket 10 mm 1/4" drive and go CCW until they are removed or bind up (go CW a few turns and then back CCW). Removing the springs steel retaining discs from the stud is another problem all together.... Most times wiggling the disc towards the end of the stud has worked best for me....

Back