• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cam or Crank?

JParuBob

NAXJA Forum User
I'm getting a code 54 and my XJ won't start (92 4.0 auto with approx 130k).

Originally I thought it was the CPS as it just died when I was almost home. However, it now seems (after pulling that code) it's the Cam position sensor inside the disty and not the crank sensor.

Is there a way to test this? Pull one of the plug wires and see if I'm getting spark there? I need to try and fix this asap.

When my 96 threw this code it would still run but it was rough.I replaced the distributor,as you could hear the rotor hitting the cap contacts,lots of play in the shaft.
If it will not run I bet the sensor in the dist got wiped out.
Wayne

Wayne Sihler said:
When my 96 threw this code it would still run but it was rough.I replaced the distributor,as you could hear the rotor hitting the cap contacts,lots of play in the shaft.
If it will not run I bet the sensor in the dist got wiped out.
Wayne

It wasn't running, and didn't sound right while trying to start, so a friend suggested it might be the ECM. Well, it wasn't. I tried using a good computer with a busted housing, and it started. Then I switched them out again and it started with the old computer. I may look into a rebuilt disty though... See if that helps...

Back