• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheel Bearing Replacement?

Kevin

NAXJA Forum User
I've been hearing a noise coming from XJ lately that has gotton worse. It picks up in frequency with speed, and I can hear it slow down when I come to a stop. I think it may be one of the front wheel bearings since I ran into a curb during a snow storm this winter and thats when I started hearing the noise.

Any recommendations or tips for replacing the wheel bearings? Will I need any special tools or equipment?

Check the tech writeup on u-joints at http://www.madxj.com. Replace the whole hub. IMHO, it's not worth the trouble or hassle to source bearings, then press out/in.

Special tools: 36mm socket, 12 point 13mm socket and a Ford wrench.

ChiXJeff

An additional little hint: if the 12-point bolts on the backing plate are a little rusted or already a bit chewed up from previous attempts, you can substitute a 1/2 inch socket for the 13. They are nearly identical, but the 1/2 is a hair tighter, and will sometimes make that critical difference.

Back