• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Longarm parts and pieces

Damon Dimick

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all, new to the board and have had a great time spending the last few hours reading the threads.

I'm building a long arm set-up and am wondering what you guys are typically running for steel stock. I'm relatively new to fabricating, and to buying heims/threaded rodding/bushing ends. Any advice that you could give would be greatly appreciated.

I was thinking of doing the lower CA's with a heim at the axle and a rubber bushing at the crossmember, with a threaded upper CA triangulated into the lower CA.

I looked at the Spidertrax web site, but am a little confused as to what size stock/heims/bushings to go with. I guess the main question is what do you do for a bushing on the upper CA axle mounting point?

How much of this could I get around town, and how much should I order from places such as Spidertrax?

Thanks in advance.

I like 2" diameter .375 wall DOM 1020 tubing......

I went with j-joints, so welding was easy, ya just disassemble the joint, fishmouth the tubes, weld the jont tube on one or both ends (depends on your design) and re-stuff the joint.....

on other types of linkages, I prefer .188 or .250 wall in a variety of o.d's depends on the tube adapter i'm using.....anywhere from 1 1/4" diameter, by 1/8ths when availabe, all the way up to 1 3/4" dia.....stuff like upper arms, trackbar, steering linkages are built with various tubing sizes.

If you are going to run a single upper arm, triangulated off of one of the lowers, I would run all RE spherical bearing assemblies. The single upper arm design is bind free so you don't need any bushings to take up the twisting action of the axle.

You only want rubber bushings if you are going to run two uppers, one off of each of the lowers.

I get my fab parts from www.polyperformance.com. They sell RE bearings for $33 a piece, and can sell you the threaded inserts for the 2" x .25" wall tubing that you will want to use for your LCA's. They also have the all-thread that screws into these inserts and gets welded onto the RE bearing shell.

For the upper arm, I would buy 3/4 x 3/4 heims, the best you can find. POly has these, and the 3/4" threaded inserts (left and right hand thread). They will weld into any size tubing as long as it is 1" I.D.

CRASH

Back