• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trans and transfer lube, what kind and capasity

G.B. 98 XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I went swimming at the badlands sunday in the XJ. I have the BA-10 and NP-231, what I need to know is how much lube to buy and the proper weight.
When wheeling never listen to your father when he tells you to go for that trail. The water was over the seats. Is there any thing else I should look for befor the next trip?
Oh, it was in the water for more than an hour.

You were in the water for how long? Check ALL of your fluids. Those diffs probably look like milk chocolate now. Your tcase will be ATF, don't know about your tranny. I use the cheapest 80w-90 in my diffs cuz I know I'm gonna be changing it long before any kind of recommended maintenance schedule.

Sean

?????

Your screen name suggests that you have a '98 XJ. The BA-10/5 was used in '87, '88, and maybe half of '89. Are you sure that's the tranny you have?

As to what juice to put in it, the jury is out. I can tell you that the FSM says 75W90 GL-5 gear lube. However, because there's a lot of question about subsequent TSBs (technical service bulletins) about the additives in GL-5 lubes attacking brass and bronze synchronizers, there is an entire thread devoted to this debate. Look for a thread by Kejtar titled something like "AX-15 Gear Lube?"

MJR is a Jeep tech in CA and he has initiated inquiries with the factory's tech line for service personnel to try to bring clarity to this. I don't think he has a definitive response as yet.

For now, use the GL-5 gear lube because it's gotta be better than an oil&water mix, but stay tuned and be prepared to change it again if the answer comes back as something other than GL-5 for long term use.

When wheeling never listen to your father when he tells you to go for that trail.
That brought back a funny memory of my dad. After a 12" snow, he said "Back it on back here in the yard, you won't get stuck"......well, guess what.....

You can use a GL-5 lube in diffs. As Eagle says, it's the soft tranny metals that were of concern from the sulfur and phosphorus additives in the GL-5s. Today's GL-5's are formulated with a buffer that deactivates the S and Ph, so they are safe to use. This info was given to me by a Coastal Lube chemist, so I believe it to be fact.

My 88 BA10/5 gets basic 75W90 (it's slated for replacement anyhow,) and my NP231s and 242 get Dexron III. I think the transmission takes about 2.5qt, and the tcase about 2, but I just pump it in until it just starts to flow back out of the fill hole (which is correct and is the level check anyhow...)

Since you have the BA10/5, here's a hint - the fill and drain plugs are 8mm square drive. Go get a couple cheap-o 8mm hex keys and grind teh side corners down until you get to about 7.95mm. Viola! Plug wrenches! I have NO BLOODY IDEA where to find 8mm square drive plug wrenches that don't cost a damn fortune, and it just isn't worth it to me to go to any more trouble that that to make one...

5-90

Back