• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

650$ is it worht it?

Inisadow

NAXJA Forum User
My friend is looking at getting an XJ. We found one for 650$, the electrical system appears to be shot its gunna need a new battery and alternator at the least. tilt steering assembly is loose easy fix. But my friend said he checked the tranny fluid and it was a very dark red like almost oil colored. So my question, is the tranny about to die or do you think it could just be really in need of new fluids. The xj has been sitting for 3years. The tranny shifts fine and all right now and the engine runs good. He just doesnt want to have to get a new tranny or have to rebuild this one.

Tranny probably fine, read stories of worse on here and have been fine. More than just the tranny, what year is it? Miles? Engine?
Honestly, you can't go wrong with 650 for a car, esp. if it is a 87 or newer w/ the 4.0

K

Rust may be the biggest factor if he wants it for a driver. Around Seattle it would be a good deal but not necessarily so if it's from the rust belt.

Drain the tranny fluid, then run it through a strainer (paint bucket strainers work well). Look for flakes, and check the odor. If you get small needle-like flakes or the fluid smells like burnt clutch, chances are the clutch disks are going, in which place you will need a re-build.

it's an 89 with 160,000 on it, I'll be checking out this sunday so thanks for the info.

Back