• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Carpet Removal

Jeepin' Rob

NAXJA Forum User
I searched the previous posts to figure out why neither of the power seats on my '90 XJ are not working. I have checked at the connectors on both seats for power (no power) so I assume it is moisture under the carpet corroding the connector. The post I have read said the connector is under the carpet by your right foot. Before I start ripping it all up a couple of questions:
- does anything need to be removed other than the plastic trim pieces? seats? console?
- is the connector on the floor or higher up on the trans tunnel
- have people 'hardwired' the wires through or has the connector been replaced?

Thanks

Rob

i would check to see if the circuit breaker is in the fuse box. the seats are hard wired from the circuit breaker. you should be able to pull the carpet back under the drivers floor and trace the wiring from the seat to the circuit breaker. i believe it is a thick red wire.

Thanks jneary, I have assumed the circuit breaker is ok as the power locks are still operational and they share the same 30 amp circuit breaker. So much for the easy solution...........

Rob

Worth a look under the carpet, even if that´s not your problem. Find a screw driver that fits the self taping screws well, they will mess up on you. The phillips head, could be a metric type, hard to find a screwdriver that fits well. Be careful when you put the screws back in, don´t mess up the wiring harness behind the lower door sill kick panel. Grease the end of the screws before you put them back in, makes getting in there the next time, much easier.
I´ve had to repair splices and patch frayed wires, on numerous XJ´s under the drivers side carpet. I usually wire them straight (soldier) and use shrink tubing to insulate, reroute and cover with some type of cable armor (tape, sheath, or slotted plastic tubing).

Last edited:
i just had to remove the front carpet to do a patch on my drivers side floorboard. I addition to the plastic trim pieces, I had to remove the bolts mounting the gas pedal to the firewall as well as the center console and some of plastic heater vent pieces on the tunnel to get enough of the carpet back.
This is on a 1987 Laredo, no power seats, so I can't help with that.

PS: I was shocked to see how much moisture was trapped under there. I am thinking of removing all the carpet and using a roll on bed liner for the floors.

Copperhead

The power seats are operational again!.

The culprit was a corroded connector where the power slits to feed each seat located on the driver’s side of the transmission tunnel in line with the e brake. On both sides of the connector the power leads were detached. Getting to the connector required: removal of the drivers seat, side trim & console and lifting of the carpet. Yes there was some moisture present under the carpet. The toughest part was working under the carpet to reattach the wires.

A lot of work for an XJ we will be selling but it did give me the opportunity to clean the carpet with the driver’s seat removed.

Thanks to those who responded

Rob

Back