• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hole 'n the Rock excursion!

xjblue

NAXJA Member #496
NAXJA Member
Okie Terry said:
Any thoughts on a Hole 'n the Rock trail ride?

Yes! Some of us were going to do it earlier this year then decided to wait till the weekend just before fall fling gets started the 2nd - 4th of October if I remember correctly. Post here if you want to go and Lets plan this little pre fling excursion to remote Southern Utah.

Nope, this one doesn't have any "soov-an-ears", parking lots, or lispy tour guides. This is what we are talking about.

Handlebars said:
Yes! Count me in, Jared. :yelclap:

Counted! Anybody else?

lets plan it!
I am flexible and have the whole week off, but how is this for a tentative plan; meet up near the trailhead (somewhere like the nearest gas station) at a designated time Saturday or Sunday, spend a night or two on the trail, then head back out Monday and drive to Moab Monday night?

I don't know if I will be able to take enough time off to spend the week, but I will definately do this trail of we plan it for the weekend of Oct 2,3,4. How about we meet at Hall's Crossing Marina on Lake Powell the morning of the 2nd. They have a campground and it is also the last gas stop around, as well as being only 10 miles from the trailhead.

I've never been on the trail, but from what I understand, there is the main trail that is about 25 miles to the dead end at the Hole in the Rock, there is also a 5-mile long spur trail called the Rincon that drops down off the mesa to the shore of Lake Powell. I would like do both. I don't know whether there is any decent campsites on the shore, if there is, I would like to camp there at least one of the nights. I would be cool with spending 2 nights on the trial, fer sure. :party1:

It's been over ten years since I've been there, but I don't remember any established camping spots beside the one a mile or so off the pavement. It's down in a wash bottom with some trees around and if you go farther up the wash there are some cliff dwelling ruins.

There is plenty of room to camp almost anywhere though. There is lots of room on Grey Mesa, but I bet it gets quite windy there. The same might be true after climbing back out of the draw the chute drops in.

That's a fun easy trail. You guys have great time.

Halls Crossing Marina on the morning of Sat the 2nd it is! That Rincon trail sounds interesting, I like the idea of doing a little extra exploring.

Thanks for the trip report Lincoln, sounds like fun.

Got room for one more?
I wasn't planning on doing Moab this year, but this sounds like fun. :woohoo:

If I can get the work thing sorted out, I will be there.

BillR said:
Got room for one more?
I wasn't planning on doing Moab this year, but this sounds like fun. :woohoo:

Plenty of room!

old_man said:
If I can get the work thing sorted out, I will be there.

hope you can make it!

I just got the week off today. I'll be there! I went with Jeep Jamboree on the trail in 1990. Then worked as a helper for JJ in late Oct. 1995. The 1st time we camped just before the masa. The trail isn't real hard but you sure don't want to brake down on it bigtime cause it's a long way to nothing. I'll be bring my rig down on a trailer. Do you thing there's a place to store it down there.

Handlebars said:
I'll bet Hall's Crossing Marina has tow vehicle storage, since people bring boats out there!

Yup, I always parked at Halls Crossing.

If you break on Hole in the Rock you need a big spanking.

I've seen people get pretty tippy on the Chute though. For some reason there has to be someone that thinks the line is down in the groove. It isn't bad until the top and then they get all screwed up.

You kids have fun. I'm half tempted to run a weekend trip down there just for it.

I will be there Friday night, try before sundown. Whenever everyone else can get there is fine with me but agree the earlier we can start the better.

Hey Alex, It might just be you, me, and RangerRick, rick said just name the time for Saturday morning. Anyone else?
If we hit the trail about sunrise that would give us a good start, how early are you thinking?

Last time I ran it with JJ we were on the trail with 25 jeeps at 5:30hrs and all off the trail by 2000hrs. We drove long and hard to the masa above hole in the rock with no side trails. Of coarse many of the jeepers weren't vary experinced. We had to do it in a day because the cooks couldn't get thier rigs in. Greg Smith found the most beautiful arrow head I have ever seen on that run (jewelry quality).

3 Jeeps would make for a great trail ride! The earlier we leave the better. I have to be back at Slickrock by Tuesday morning to lead a trail. I have to leave at 5pm on Friday, I would probably get to Hall's Crossing around 1AM. :eek: Are you guys going to stay at the campground there or boondock somewhere nearby?

Back