• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Motor sound too

xjrugger

NAXJA Forum User
Also on this 99 xj there is a slight ticking sound from the 4.0, a sound that my 88 4.0 never had. It runs mint but when it gets hot this slight tick which is continuous happens. Does not seem alarming but i was wondering if anyone has run into the same thing

Could be several things. I'm thinking either the lifters or the 4 bolts on the flywheel. Some people use .5 quart of ATF during an oil change. This will help clean some junk from inside the engine and may reduce tapping from lifters. The flywheel has 4 bolts that for some reason come loose. The heads will tap untill eventually they fall off and your Jeep doesn't move.

my 87 started making the same noise (after 240k) but when I finnally junked the jeep (rotted to hell!) I pulled the motor and found alot of slug and crap in and around the lifters which was what was the problem . I rebuilt the motor installed new lifters and installed it in my friends 88xj and its still running with no noise after about 20k.

i change the oil every 2500 since the 2nd change it ever had. It has no performanxce probs but like i said its a very little noise, but i can not seem to find where it is coming from. Its no big deal but as it gets hot it is slightly louder, im gonna check the flywheel soon but its been keeping me wondering.

xjrugger said:
Also on this 99 xj there is a slight ticking sound from the 4.0, a sound that my 88 4.0 never had. It runs mint but when it gets hot this slight tick which is continuous happens. Does not seem alarming but i was wondering if anyone has run into the same thing

it's the TERRORISTS!

Back