• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front axle shaft u-joint

Dan1990XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I've searched and i really haven't found anything that has helped me, i need to replace the drivers side axle shaft u-joint on my 90 XJ. Need to know of the easiest way to do this, i have never done it before and leave for college in 9 days. I'm looking for the easiest way to replace it without taking the entire front end apart. (90XJ, 4.0, AW-4, n-231, Dana 30 front). Thanks for any help.

remove wheel/tire. remove brake caliper and rotor. remove 36mm nut to free axle from hub. remove hub (3 bolts on back side). slide axle shaft out of axle housing. remove u-joints (many different methods). press new joints in place and replace clips. replace everything else in reverse order. done. make sure you have either a strong air gun or a large breaker bar for the 36mm axle nut, it is on there tight.

hth

The EASIEST way:
If you have a C-press or other good way to get the U-joint out of the shafts, you can leave the 36mm nut tight on the shaft and just pull the hub assembly with the shaft. Then use your press to remove the old and install the new one. I also have read that a ball joint press will work well. I have used a vise, but I think you would need to separate the axle from the hub for that.

If you will be beating the joint off with a 3 pound sledge, you need to take off the 36mm nut and remove them separatly as described above.

I have a 90 XJ also. I did my first one with the 36mm / vise method. Then I reasoned I could justify the $29 cost of the Harbor Freight C-Press for the time savings. So I did the second one a couple of months later as described first here.

This should give you some ideas of the Big F*cking Hammer approach:

http://www.jeepin.com/features/ujoint/index.asp

Click on AXLE in the techical section for ideas on axle removal:

http://www.madxj.com/

Like with most things preparation is the key to success. Have any and all tools ready. I'd have an extra U-joint ready as well...shit happens...and you're gonna wanna have a spare on hand if things don't go well. Been there, done that.

Search the forums. There's alot of great advice out there.

It looks like an intimidating task but you'll smile afterwards and realize how straightforward it is.

One last note: If you are going to remove the 36 mm. nut, do this while the wheel is still on the ground, because you'll need a lot of torque. Once it's loosened, you can leave it on or take it off, depending on how you intend to pull the hub. Some hubs come off easily and some very hard. One way to do this is to use a slide-hammer puller, but if you do, the nut must be at least finger-tight on the shaft, or you run the risk of pulling the hub unit apart.

Back