• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

door hinge detent

skipc

NAXJA Forum User
I closed my drivers door (89) the other day and heard a crunch. Opened again and now it doesn't have the 2 stops or hold positions like it used to or that the other ones do. It seems the little bar that is attached to the door frame and goes into the door isn't doing it's thing. It's still there, and all looks well, but I think what's inside got bent up.

What IS inside?? Is there an easy way to re-create the door-hold-open or is it easy to fix? No mention in any book I've got. I have to park on a slope every day and it's a real leg-killer to have it slam back at me every day! :helpme:

I had the roll pin on my 98 fly out a few weeks ago, smacked me in the leg before it went into warp drive. I replaced the pin and I agree, PIA, I park with my nose uphill too...

You'll have to pull the door panel, plastic, and maybe the speaker to fish the metal doorstrap out from inside the door. The metal doorstrap has springs inside the door, it's likely it came out of it's track and the detents no longer work.

I just sold my 4 or I'd hook you up with some.

You can't fix the one you got. Don't bother to try. It has been redesigned a couple of times since your rig was built. Just go to the dealer and buy a new door check.

MoFo said:
You can't fix the one you got. Don't bother to try. It has been redesigned a couple of times since your rig was built. Just go to the dealer and buy a new door check.

Well, actually you can, if you can find all the pieces and weld them back together. I'm not saying it's either smart or economical to do this, but....well, you can if you're the sort of person who does that sort of thing. :wierd:

Matthew Currie said:
well, you can if you're the sort of person who does that sort of thing. :wierd:
Sometimes I am that sort, :explosion - [music starts to play]... bionic door check... we can build it stronger, faster, better... but maybe not this time.

I'll have to look at it. Got a million other things that need doing, so this might just end up a replacement. :cry:

Thanks for the info.

I found that the dealer wanted $26 each. Too much. Get some from the back doors at a yard but use the strap from the front door. Rear doors don't get used as much and are likely OK.

Back