• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Taillight/ turn signal wiring question

J Dubs Noling

NAXJA Forum User
after sledgehammering the stock xj plastic taillights, i replaced them with some universal lights, similar to those of a tj. the turn, tail, and stop are all on the same bulb with the new lights but the xj is wired for one bulb for tail and stop and a separate for the turn signal...

the ? is...how do i wire the turn signal and brake to the bright circuit of the new lights so that when i hit the brakes and engage turn signal, the constant 12 volts from the brake circuit doesnt override the pulsing 12 v coming for the blinker? does this make sense?

i was thinking if i could find a wire prior to the round flasher thing for the blinkers, one that is constant hot when blinker is turned on, run a lead from that wire to a relay that would shut down power to the brake... and do this for each side???

please help, i gotta get this thing somewhat street legal!!!!

You could just buy a trailer wiring kit which T's (hobby, Drawtite, etc) into the existing wiring and corrects the turn signal output for the trailer, Thus wire that to your new lights on the jeep. Just a cheap idea

Silverxj2000 said:
You could just buy a trailer wiring kit which T's (hobby, Drawtite, etc) into the existing wiring and corrects the turn signal output for the trailer, Thus wire that to your new lights on the jeep. Just a cheap idea

Yep, just go to WalMart and get a Reese converter box designed for trailer light hookups on all cars with amber turn signals. Its about the size of a credit card and maybe $15.

Back