• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 bangs into reverse

earthtiger

NAXJA Forum User
I completed my install (AW4) yesterday. I added the appropriate fluid (Dexron III/Mercon ATF) "by the book", and checked it over and over again. Gave it the test drive and everthing seems fine, except for when I go from park to reverse. It really slams into reverse. It reverses fine, just slams into it. Anybody have an ideas?
I did indeed do the search, but couldn't find anthing specifically on this problem.
john ('96 XJ 4.0)

My 90 does the exact same thing. I got my tranny rebuilt about a month ago so I'm going to take it back in for warranty. If no one else can help I'll tell you what they say on mine. (90 AW4 4.0)

jeepguy1990 said:
My 90 does the exact same thing. I got my tranny rebuilt about a month ago so I'm going to take it back in for warranty. If no one else can help I'll tell you what they say on mine. (90 AW4 4.0)

I'd definitely be interested in hearing what they say. Coincidentally, the tranny came out of a '90. If that means anything. Thanks!
john

Ill be interested as well, the only thing I can think of is....when I took it in for my two week check I complained about the fact that around 35 it didnt know which gear to slide into and they said it was the torque converter clutch. I dont think that would be it but I'm not sure. I will let you know what I find out.

Sorry it took me a while to get back to ya on this. The transmission place said it was my high idle which would give the tranny a jolt when put in reverse, well i fixed my idle and it still is banging in. If you have a high idle try fixing that first, otherwise Im taking the Jeep back down soon to figure out whats going on, so I'll get back to ya.

Is your TV cable adjusted correctly?

TV cable? Is that the one on the Throttle Body(left side)? If so I have no idea how to adjust it. Can you explain?

Probably time to replace the u-jounts. Mine was making all sorts of clunkig sounds when shifted into gear. Then I busted a u-joint on the trail, replaced them and the sound is gone.

I have the same problem on my '98 intermittently, and had the same issue on an '87 Ramcharger I used to have. The guy at the shop back then said it was the backlash in the rear-end and to leave it alone. I never had any problems with it, other that the noise.

Back