• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Back Seat Troubles.....

BIGSLVRXJ

NAXJA Forum User
The back seat in my 90 is bowed horribly. I'm sure other people have had this problem too becuase I have been strolling through junkyards and it seems like every Cherokee backseat I find is the same way. Is it something that is fixable if I take the seat cover off or what? Any help?

Just bend it back in shape. Pull or push on it in place or take it out and set it on saw horses so you can stand or jump on it.

I agree that this is a fairly common problem and mine has been bent for years. I recently installed all new seats from my parts jeep partly for this reason (also to upgrade to front seats with the adjustable base angle, my MJ had these seats and I've really missed them over the past 5 years). From my experience bending the seat back will only work until the next time you put any passengers in it. If you take the cover off you will probably be suprised to find that the seat "frame" is merely a flimsy peice of stamped tin. It is fairly easy to get out, just remove the seat latches, unzip the bottom of the seat cover and slide it off. If yours is really bad you will probably find that the upper edge of this pie plate is cracked. IF it is you will need to straighten it out and add some sort of re-inforcement to this area to keep it from bending again or simply find a junkyard pan that isn't bent (good luck). If it is not cracked you will most likely be able to straighten it but this can really only do this with it out of the upholstery, if you don't get all the bends out of the upper lip it will simply bend again. Also on my seat the rod which connects the seat latches from side to side was seriously bent, but then again my seat was damaged by getting the jeep airborne with three people in the back seat, which left three very distinct head prints in the cieling and broke both rear spring packs. Yours may not be this badly damaged.

Last edited:
Back