• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CA relocation and long arms

XJguy

NAXJA Forum User
Didnt want to have to do this just yet, but I just have to bite the bullet :rolleyes: . I was going to stick to short arms but I think I might as well go with the long and a full front end redesign.

What I want to know is, are there any adverse affects to mounting the lower CAs in line with the axle tube for added clearance? Am I going to run into stability and wobble issues while driving at high speeds as a result of the reduced leverage the CAs will have against axle rotation? As always TIA.

While on this topic, what do you in the know think about mounting the CAs leading the axle rather than behind it? I was thinking of a 3 point suspension, with 3 points attached to the axle and 4 to the frame with a reinforced front crossmember. In this fashion if stout enough, the CAs will act like sliders up front and I dont think the high angle will affect the driving. Opinions, thoughts?

XJguy

Last edited:
front control arm

all the control arms have to be on the same side of the axle to allow for the movement of the axle up and down,, because it moves in an arc the control arm in the front of the axle would work against the ones in the back

SteveVA, I realize that I was thinking of mounting everything in front. But a better look this afternoon made me realize that a mega lift would be required to pull this off, so that idea is scrubbed.

XJguy

One other question, any disadvantage to relocating the axle end of the front shocks 3-4" higher?

XJguy

Walker Evans rockcrawling competition S-10 (last years truck) has leading rather than trailing arms. He had the lower triangulated with two mounts to the frame and one center mount to the axle, even with the axle. There is a picture of a similar setup on a Jeep on page 16 of the newest JP magazine.

Put your shock mounts where ever you want them. Just be careful that with a very long shock you don't bottom them out. I had that problem after moving mine up. While you're moving the mounts, move them outward a little. I had a problem with the shock ram hitting the frame (actually bowed the ram a little) under full droop, so I moved them outward an inch and up a little while I was at it.

Back