• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cruise sorta works... ?

xjfish

NAXJA Forum User
When I hit the switch to accelerate I can get the pedal all the way to the floor but as soon as I let off of it the pedal comes right back up. (can't maintain speed) Is this most likely an electrical or vaccum problem? Anything I can check? Thanks for any help!

xjfish said:
When I hit the switch to accelerate I can get the pedal all the way to the floor but as soon as I let off of it the pedal comes right back up. (can't maintain speed) Is this most likely an electrical or vaccum problem? Anything I can check? Thanks for any help!

Check your vacuum bottle, AKA "blimp" behind your front bumper. Check all the hose connections for leaks and then trace the hoses back. Usually flaky cruise control is caused by not having a small vaccum leak at that bottle, at least in my experience with my 87 cherokee and my brother's 88 comanche.

XJFish:
It would really help if you would have said what year your XJ is, or at least update your profile to include the vehicle information.

In addition to the vacuum leaks mentioned above, if it is one of the early ones with a Saganaw column and the switch integrated with the turn signal / wiper stick, the switch and / or harness are a common failure. If you are cruising at a fixed speed and turn the cruise to on, then push the button, does it hold that speed? In other words, is it only the accelerate function that does not work? Again, assuming it is this style of switch, the place to look is at the front of the switch assembly, where the harness exits the stick and enters the steering column. The wires often break here, although the sheath will probably look OK, so you will need to wiggle it to check for broken wires inside. I had one with a break that was making intermittant connection and worked part time. A new switch fixed it. This switch is the same as one used on a year or 2 earlier GM vehicles. I found one on ebay for a 1988 Blazer IIRC. It worked just fine in my 1990 XJ. There are 2 vendors on ebay and have pictures so you can match it with yours. The switch is ~$50 at the stealer and I got it on ebay for $28.

Thanks for your help. Yeah sorry its an 87 4.0. I pretty much went through all of the vaccum bottle lines and stuff already and it did in fact have several leaks but i think they are all fixed. The only thing that DOES work is the accelerator switch. It never holds a speed. Probably the switch like you said. I will check when I get a chance.

Well how every cruise control I've used works, the accellerate button only makes you accellerate, it doesn't accellerate AND set the speed at that speed. However, on alot of them if you double click the accellerate button it will increase the speed a certain increment and set it there. Either 2.5 mph or to teh next 5 mph increement...

I just read your last post so my reply may not help much if it won't set at any speed.

Back