• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Multi fuction switch

keith haw

NAXJA Forum User
Where can I get a good multi fuction switch? The one's at the local parts stores, Autozona/Checker, are all 2 wire switchs.
Thanks
Keith

I'm sorry, guess I should have been alittle clearer... It's the turn/dimmer/cc/wiper switch on older xj's.

It is a common GM switch, since we have GM steering columns in our older XJs. You can get a replacement at the dealer (surprise!) or at a car parts chain-store in the Help line of products. They are available with or without the cruise control function, be sure you get the one you want. Now changing them is an interesting exercise.......I'm putting off changing the one in my daughter's 1990 XJ. When the cruise quit it was no big deal, but now the signals have quit (but 4-ways work, so it's the switch) I have to get on with it. You need a spring-plate depressor and the lock ring tool, then a manual to deal with all the parts. There are a bunch of really fine wires that eventually break from flexing many times.

Yes, go to your local Jeep dealer and pick one up. I told a coworker what they charged for one when the replaced the one on my 88 XJ. It was around $60 if i recall - delay wipers/cruise version.

He was looking for one to install on his 87 Buick Century and told me that was about the best price he he had heard of for that switch. He got one at the junk yard instead, he does not mind fiixng things over and over. He did later buy a horn swich for that century at the Jeep dealer once he saw I had the same style horn switch AND he could not find one at the junk yard.

You may pay less for the HELP branded item but considering the pain you have to go through to install it I'll go with the part that been through the Chrysler or GM dealer parts system. It common knowledge that parts not purchased by the manufacturer are sold as spare parts to the parts store. At times this give a savings to the customer, other times the part was rejected for some reason by GM or Chrysler but then sold to the parts stores. Also the dealer part has a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty.

I learned the hard way that you can damage a new switch assy by using the kite string method to install the harness down the column. GM came out with a procedure where you have to pull off the column cover and lay the wire in place. I am glad I had the dealer install my turn signal lever, it died 11 months after I had it installed. I took it back and got it replaced and installed for free. I think it cost me an hour of labor to have it installed the first time. At times it makes sense to pay for work to be done. Get to know your mechanic!

Back