• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW-4 Transmission Usage

they were used in XJs from 87 when the 4.0 came out, right up until the end, 01. Some changes were made for the HO motors that came out in 91, 23 spline output rather than 21 and .75 overdrive rather than .705. There are vatiations used in several import cars and SUVs, Toyota Supras for one. I do not know about factories. Were these questions leading to anything else, or was that really all you wanted to know?

Thanks for the clarification on the usage. I am just startiing the search for an additional XJ ('99 to '01) and had received conflicting information on which transmission was used on the '00 and '01. Apparently the only thing that changes on these units is the revised I6. At present I have an '89 with the AW4 and wanted to stay with the AW4 on the new vehicle. The question on the factorys was based on quality issues that sometimes appear during new factory startups.

As far as I know, the AW-4's were all made by Aisen-Warner of Japan, probably in the same plant.

Yes, our "Detroit Iron" XJ's have Japanese transmissions.....and I believe Mexican engines......?

I don't think "our" xj's have Mexican engines because I remember reading that some desert racers were getting the Mexican built 4.0 because they have a beefier block than the US versions which could be modified more.

Back