• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

One-man brake bleeders

XJade

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone tried out those pricey one-man brake bleeder valves? Just wondering if they're worth the money. Are they prone to failure after awhile? I'm tempted as hell. Never seem to have a friend around when I need to bleed the brakes. Uh...I guess it helps to have friends!

Oops. Maybe I should rephrase my question. My original post is a bit confusing. What I meant was those (speed) bleeder valves/screws that take the place of the ones on the brake calipers and cylinders. They're about $11 a piece and I'll need four I assume.

Is the mityvac a one-man bleeder tool (hose, fluid bottle, etc.). I think I've seen those. I've thought about buying something like that too.

I tried the hose version of a one-man bleeder, but was disappointed. It didn't shut quickly or positively enough to avoid drawing some air back in.

I'd go with the mityvac, or for minor bleeding jobs, go to junkyard, etc. and get a tailgate strut that fits between the steering wheel and the brake pedal. You might need to attach a block to the wheel end. Now pump up pedal and put strut in to hold it down. Get out, bleed brake, repeat as needed. Keeps you scrambling, but it works.

Matthew Currie said:
I tried the hose version of a one-man bleeder, but was disappointed. It didn't shut quickly or positively enough to avoid drawing some air back in.

I'd go with the mityvac, or for minor bleeding jobs, go to junkyard, etc. and get a tailgate strut that fits between the steering wheel and the brake pedal. You might need to attach a block to the wheel end. Now pump up pedal and put strut in to hold it down. Get out, bleed brake, repeat as needed. Keeps you scrambling, but it works.
I did something similar. When I put in YJ rear brake hoses, there was no one to help me bleed the brakes. So I pumped the brake pedal by hand while looking underneath to see when the bubbles stopped coming out. Then I used a 40-lb. dumbbell to hold down the pedal while I crawled under to close the valve.

Sounds stoopid, but it worked.

Mityvac is the way to go.....best $25 I've spent on a tool......try Harbor Freight.

XJade said:
Has anyone tried out those pricey one-man brake bleeder valves? Just wondering if they're worth the money. Are they prone to failure after awhile? I'm tempted as hell. Never seem to have a friend around when I need to bleed the brakes. Uh...I guess it helps to have friends!

There's a write-up in the September 2004 4 Wheel Drive & Sport Utility Magazine, about Russell Speed Bleeders, page 80 or http://www.russellperformance.com/auto/brake/speed_bleeders.shtml

with my last lift i couldnt find my mity-vac or anyone to help me with the pedal so i tried something my old shop teacher told me once.... GRAVITY BLEEDING.. it takes time but as long as you have a full reservoir it wont go too fast for you.. i had replaced the entire rear brake system from hardlines to the cylinders.. after pumping the pedal as much as i could i opened all 4 bleeders and let gravity do its thing.. it goes so slow that you cant tell its doing anything until you are pissing fluid all over the place... keep topping the res as needed and as each bleeder starts to flow steadily close them... i was expecting this just to purge most of the air but when i bled them the next day with help i swear i didnt get a sigle air bubble out of the system... the brakes are firm and even and never felt better... its quite time consuming but you can walk away from the job for a few minutes while it is flowing itself... i was honestly suprised at how wel i tworkd.. i guess the old-timer knew what he was talking about after all... damn i shoulda stayed in school...

mike

I use the one man and the wife bleeding system! Its worked great for many many years, and soon it will be the one man and son system :)
Total cost= Well, all of it! LOL

Y2K-XJ said:
I use the one man and the wife bleeding system! Its worked great for many many years, and soon it will be the one man and son system :)
Total cost= Well, all of it! LOL

Don't you know it's risky having your wife help you bleed the brakes? The wife soon develops air bubbles in her lungs and she starts yelping things like "Are we done yet?!" "My foot's getting tired" "Take the damn truck into a REAL mechanic".

XJade said:
Don't you know it's risky having your wife help you bleed the brakes? The wife soon develops air bubbles in her lungs and she starts yelping things like "Are we done yet?!" "My foot's getting tired" "Take the damn truck into a REAL mechanic".
Ain't that the truth.

I've been running Earls Speed Bleeders for a couple of years. They make bleeding the breaks an easy, one man job, other than that they perform the same as standard bleeders.
Paul

I use speed bleeders on my '99 XJ. They are great. They work just as advertised. I strongly recommend them if you know you need to bleed your brakes.

-Brian

XJade said:

you can also do it the old fashioned way. take a clean jar and some clean hose. put the jar somewhere where it wont fall loosen up the bleeder and attach the hose. put new clean fluid in the jar and stick the hose in the fluid. keep enough fluid in the jar so that the hose doesnt take in air. then you simply bleed the brakes. theres no need to pump em and that stuff. just simply step on the pedal and release it. the brake fluid in the jar will not allow air to get sucked up. good luck

Back