• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pulling the TCU out, what are the side effects?

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
OK, if I pull the TCU out what will be the side effects on how the engine runs? Lets forget the transmission issues as that is out of the picture at the moment. Also on a 97 where can I find the TCU?

You are talking about the TCM? The transmission control module right?

If you pull it out, you will ONLY be able to use the "1/2" gear and "3rd" gear, you can not use the "D" setting on your auto. Plus, you can use reverse. Basically it will be a manual tranny at that point and you shift into 3rd from "1/2" gear when your rpm's get high enough.

The TCM on a 97 is right above the accelerator pedal to the right. It is a silver box with the plug on the bottm of it. Just unplug it.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Chris

Cool, I'll take a look at it tonight. And I'm concerned with engine behaviour not trasnimssion behavior cause the aw4 is on the floor in the garage :D

Without the TCU you will have 1, 3 and 4 plus of course R. You will loose 2 and OD. You also will have to shift it through all the gears like you would a manual shift. eg; in the 4 position it will remain in 4 only.
By the way I heared the '97 onwards have the TCU incorporated in the ECU. Not sure. I have a '96 and it is seperate.

Back