• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaks, leaks, leaks

Professor Bobo

NAXJA Forum User
OK, I have an oil leak. I replaced the valve cover gasket (it was leaking there, I could see it). Cleaned the engine, and drove it. Parked in the drive and it still leaked. I look under there and my oil filter is wet with oil ( I've used a few different filters and it still leaks. and my starter is wet also. I thought it could be the oil pressure sending unit, but I cleaned that with brake cleaner yesterday and in was dry today. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

BTW: 93 XJ, 4.0L, auto trans

Professor Bobo said:
OK, I have an oil leak. I replaced the valve cover gasket (it was leaking there, I could see it). Cleaned the engine, and drove it. Parked in the drive and it still leaked. I look under there and my oil filter is wet with oil ( I've used a few different filters and it still leaks. and my starter is wet also. I thought it could be the oil pressure sending unit, but I cleaned that with brake cleaner yesterday and in was dry today. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

BTW: 93 XJ, 4.0L, auto trans
IIRC there are orings in that oil filter mount that need to be replaced every so often.

I noticed that the oil filter adapter is (bolted?) together. I couldn't figure out what kind of wrench goes on it. I heard it was a BIG Hex Key, but it doesn't look that way to me. Anybody know?

The acceptor arm on my Jeep leaked bad. Can't be sure off the top of my head but I think its 15mm. The auto store didn't have any replacement o-rings/gaskets so I just cleaned it off and siliconed all around it. 3 quarts between changes has been reduced to 1. :wave1:

The adapter on my 97XJ has a hex bolt that holds it in. I just purchased a set of 3 o-rings from Chrysler and I'm putting it in this weekend.

Doesn't look too hard. That is where most of my leaking is coming from.

Hope this helps-

Jeff-97XJ

Do you know what size hex it is? I saw on one website that showed it to be a T-60 torx. Where did you get the O rings?... Thanks

Last edited:
It's definitely your filter mount o-rings. It's either a hex bolt (size??) or a T-60 torx. You should be able to tell which by feeling.

You might have to get a little creative to get the bolt out since there's not much room to work with. I bought a T-60 torx from Pep Boys, but it was too long. So I knocked the torx bit out of the socket part and used a small box wrench to break the bolt loose.

Get the o-rings from the dealer. Anywhere from $4 to $10. Some people will say to take the old o-rings to the parts store to find new ones that match. To me, that is a waste of time. Get the proper o-rings beforehand and replace them in one fell swoop.

Sounds like a plan! Thanks all!

It appears to be a 1/2" hex. Now just to find one. Probably a Sears Tool place.

It should be a 13mm. Just use a socket or box-end wrench.

I'll go with the 13mm. Thanks again, all.

It's definately a "socket" of some sort that a tool needs to fit into. I made an impression of it with some clay. It hex shaped. If it's metric, 13mm sounds right. If SAE, then 1/2".

Finally did it. I found the right tool at Autozone and it's a 14mm hex (on mine anyway). I had to do some grinding on the tool to shorten it. Had to use a breaker bar to break it loose, after that it was easy. Found the seal kit at the dealer IN STOCK! $3.45 including tax! I thought I was dreaming. Everything seems good so I'll just cross my fingers and hope for the best.
Thanks to everyone for their help.

Jeff
just read your post about oil leaks around the oil filter from a couple years ago, how did it turn out. I have the same problem with my 97 XJ.

Steve

Back