• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer case problem?

crazy4mopar

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 242 in my 89. The problem is in 4 low the gearing is reduced to the rear wheel but the front axle keeps popping out of 4low(only the rear spins). I was told to change the linkage bushings (they were toast) because the linkage was not letting it get all the way into 4 low because of too much slack in the bushings. So I changed them today adjusted the linkage.......Still won't lock in. I was also told the synchros were going bad and also told the chain may be skipping...... Any ideas where to start? :dunno:

Thanks,

I haven't pulled apart a 242 but here are some places to start. A problem in 4-low only sounds wierd to me. The 231 has two shift forks, one for high and low and one for 2 and 4wd. I'm not aware of any case that has syc's for high and low range.

Have you tried disconnecting the linkage and turning to each indention and trying it then. If it still doesn't work it's inside the case.

Chain slipping is an easy one to hear. Every one I've seen would pop when put into a bind as it skipped teeth. Would to it in 4 hi also.

I have taken apart two 231's that were supposedly bad and it was the pads on the shift forks. One on the hi low fork (pop out of low range completely) and one on the 2-4 fork (pop out of 4 wheel drive).

I would take the linkage off and run it through each position manually (probably take more than your hand) and check each one. I would even go as far as running it down the street, do a few u turns each direction under some power, etc. If all of them work it's the linkage if they don't make some detailed notes and analyze more.

I am having the same problem, I adjusted the linkage to see if that was the problem with no results, anyone have an exploded view of a t/c for a 98 242?

Back