• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission cooler line - flexible part

fizassist

NAXJA Member #1052
Hi,
I just bought a '95 XJ sport/aw4/4.0. I was changing the oil (and putting in a new sending unit) when I saw that it's leaking tranny fluid from the upper line going to the radiator (return line?) The leak is coming from the rubber line that connects to the metal lines coming from the radiator and tranny. Autozone/Checker/NAPA only carry the metal lines, and the Dodge parts dept isn't open on Saturdays. Can anybody make a suggestion as to an alternative? (Brake line, fuel line, etc...)
Also, what's the procedure for swapping this out. Can I just yank it out and stick another one back in, then top off the tranny? Or should I do a complete fluid/filter change?

Thanks!
fiz

Do a search on "tranny cooler lines". lotsa good info.

the jeep factory lines come complete and arent too expensive. if you go that route you might as well replace them both. or look for a parts store that sells rubber transmission hose.

jneary said:
the jeep factory lines come complete and arent too expensive. if you go that route you might as well replace them both. or look for a parts store that sells rubber transmission hose.

I found a dealer in the next town whose part dept was open, so I went ahead and bought it. List was $50; I got it for $34 OTD. They usually give me a 30-35% discount (without me asking). The other line looked a lot better; I think it was replaced recently.

I didn't lose much fluid in the swap; the only hard part was the plastic clip on the tranny end; it really didn't want to let go.

Back