• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can I make a 4.0 gauge work in a 4cyl.

simonsxj

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1989 XJ 2.5 4cyl. I have asked if you swap a tach pod in but I did not tell everyone that I had a 4 cyl. White gauge question on mid forum. Now my question is can I use a 4.0 gauge pod in a 4cyl XJ? Thanks for the help.

Yes. Approximately two or three months ago SV1CEC from Greece did this with his 4-cyl. There is a potentiometer on the back of the tachometer that needs to be calibrated for the 4-cylinder engine. Run a search and you should find a thread explaining the whole thing. There might even be a picture, I don't remember.

I did it on mine. When you get the cluster, look at the back of it where the tach is and you will see several small screws. Take those out and the tach should fall out the front. (make sure you take off the plastic front off first, just a few screws there) Once you have the tach out, you will find a white plastic flathead screw on the tachometer. The screw is set up so that if turned all the way clockwise, it is set for an 8-cyl and all the way counterclockwise, for a 4-cyl. It will be set directly in the middle if it came off a 4.0, so just turn it all the way counterclockwise and it will be set for a 2.5L. Then just reinstall it and it will work fine.

Back